Hoover cable replacement 0.75mm 1mm or 1.5mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace the cable flex on my Henry/Numatic hoover. I can't find any lettering to identify the old cable but by comparing the conductor size to a bit of 3core 1mm² i've got, it look to be the same, just 2 cores not 3. However the motor is rated at 1000w, max 1200w (from the data plate sticker) and the plug is fitted with a 13A fuse. Surely 1mm cable which is rated for 10a (2440w) max should have a 10a fuse? Can I use 0.75mm² as this is rated upto 6 amps (1440w) max which is below the power of the motor, and fit a 5a fuse?

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Expensive, but genuine spare:
https://www.ransomspares.co.uk/part...-(henry)/power-cable-lead-plug-10m/146188.htm

The writing on the wire in the picture says 2 core, 1mm!
Screenshot_20211124-140031_Chrome.jpg

I looked at those and it seems a lot for a 10m bit of cable. The plug on the hoover end I will have to cut of as it goes straight into screw terminals inside and I've already got the 3 pin plug. I can get 10m of 2 core 1.5mm² flex for less than £10 online. It's only an old hoover i keep in the garage for hooving the car out.

2c 1mm is fine and a 5amp fuse should be adequate, unless it blows on initial switch on - in which case up it to 10amps.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that. It was kind of what I was thinking but its nice to know other people think the same. Good spot with the photo RandomGrinch

Appliance flexible cable is governed by different rules than our Wiring Regulations.

The rating for 1mm² flex. of 10A we use is likely very conservative.

15A fuse wire is 0.2mm² - I don't have a figure for 13A - so will be a lot smaller than any cable you choose and melt a lot sooner than the flex.

1200W @ 240V is 5A. Not sure how much inrush on starting there will be.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no rule requiring that the plug fuse be matched exactly to the flex. BS1363 has a table which implies but does not explicitly state that normally a fuse of 3A should normally be used with 0.5mm flex (with a 5A fuse being acceptable) and a 13A fuse can be used with all other sizes of flex.

Most countries don't have plug fuses at all!

Personally I'd stick with the same size wiring used by the manufacturer, it may well be that they use a slightly larger flex to reduce heating when the vacuum was used with the cable partially wound.

The other thing to remember is the mechanical aspect of the cable. Vacuum cleaners are pulled about a lot putting strain on the cable. A thicker cable will be more robust and is probably why you find it used rather than much thinner wire

Why you changing it, often the flex only breaks inside the sheath where it enters the unit, there easy to dismantle and you just cut 6 inch off and reterminate in the hoover.
Lots of videos on you tube how to open it up

To the best of my knowledge, there is no rule requiring that the plug fuse be matched exactly to the flex. BS1363 has a table which implies but does not explicitly state that normally a fuse of 3A should normally be used with 0.5mm flex (with a 5A fuse being acceptable) and a 13A fuse can be used with all other sizes of flex.

Most countries don't have plug fuses at all!

The main purpose of the BS1362 plug fuse is short-circuit protection of the flex. Up to 20 amps in the fuse board, pretty much all flex sizes are adequately covered, which is why few other countries use fused plugs. The only case where the plug fuse actually provides overload protection and needs to be matched to the flex size is extension leads/power strips.

Most countries stick to 16-amp radials, some go up to 20, only UK-influenced ones go up to 32 but even Ireland mostly uses 20-amp radials. As far as I know, the UK is the only place where 32-amp ring circuits are commonly used. Malaysia seems to use them in commercial setups but not in homes.

As far as I know, the UK is the only place where 32-amp ring circuits are commonly used. Malaysia seems to use them in commercial setups but not in homes.

UAE, Singapore, Hong Kong, Beijing, Indonesia, Cyprus, Uganda and Malaysia also use the 32amp ring main.

I need to replace the cable flex on my Henry/Numatic hoover. I can't find any lettering to identify the old cable but by comparing the conductor size to a bit of 3core 1mm² i've got, it look to be the same, just 2 cores not 3. However the motor is rated at 1000w, max 1200w (from the data plate sticker) and the plug is fitted with a 13A fuse. Surely 1mm cable which is rated for 10a (2440w) max should have a 10a fuse? Can I use 0.75mm² as this is rated upto 6 amps (1440w) max which is below the power of the motor, and fit a 5a fuse?
We have 3 Henry's, 1200W and 620W, all have 0.75mm² 2 core HO5 flex.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back