Hoover HW160M Tumble Dryer Not Work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have had the above washing machine/dryer for about 2 years.
Twice have had to call an engineer out when the tumble dry programme was not drying the clothes.
Both times a filter inside the machine needed clearing out. The first engineer went as far as saying it was a common problem. Great bit of design!!!
Last time it happened I attempted to clear what I thought was the filter out myself but could not work out what tools I could use to get into the gaps, nor was I 100% sure where the filter was.
Does anyone know where this filter in question maybe? Do I need special tools to get at it or do Washing Machine engineers all tend to have extra-long thin fingers?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
as with most things the right tool for the right job.

I used to work for a white goods company and we did have special tools for specific jobs.

bob5buys said:
Twice have had to call an engineer out when the tumble dry programme was not drying the clothes.
Both times a filter inside the machine needed clearing out.

This happened to my sisters machine. She tended to wash and dry a full load, whereas its only designed to dry a half load.

Perhaps this causes the filter to get blocked?

Tumble driers create dust and fluff by virtue of what they do i.e. tumble clothes and blow hot air through them.

It's standard procedure to clean out filters regularly otherwise they get blocked. I presume your machine is vented to the outside world so it must be case of working back through the system until you get to the offending filter. Or am I being too simplistic? :confused:

Presumably from what you say you didn't see what the engineer did last time for example, did he just get access from the top or was it the back/underneath.

The fact that it is only meant to dry a half load is more to do with the efficiency of drying - it will dry two half loads quicker than one full load as the clothes will tumble more freely and get more air round them. I don't think that this is the specific cause of your problem. Sounds like a good design "feature".

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Sponsored Links
An update...
Hoover have fixed this free of charge.
The dryer was not working and did not appear to 'heating up' Engineer explained he needed to clear out fluff from the condensor inside the machine (thats all I know) and that on older models this part was wider than on this model. I also see Hoover no longer do this model.
Have written another letter to Hoover to see whether they will fix this fault ongoing for free and whether it is a design fault (like they are going to say yes!) or a fault with my machine.

bob5buys said:
An update...
Hoover have fixed this free of charge.

Have written another letter to Hoover to see whether they will fix this fault ongoing for free and whether it is a design fault (like they are going to say yes!) or a fault with my machine.

A free fix ? Must have forgot to charge you or was it within a warranty period on repair ? Either way a good result ! :D

Good luck

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back