hopscotch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any tips for laying a hopscotch tile pattern? The tiles are 45x45 and 30x30.
Should I mark out some parallel lines 15cm apart?

Sponsored Links
I think you mean brick weave ;) . The thing to watch when laying brick weave is tile manufacturing tolerance for bowing or cupping. Tiles can be noticeably bowed over their length, particularly cheap ones, & with larger tiles it can be very noticeably over their length & still be within specified/acceptable manufacturing tolerance. When laid conventionally, this won’t notice but lay them brick weave & you can get excessive lippage between the corners/edges of the two tiles adjacent to the centre of the one in the middle. To avoid problems, you should check the accuracy of your particular tiles before deciding to lay in this pattern. Other things to be aware of is that brick weave works best on larger floor areas, especially with tiles that size &, depending on your wall tiles, can look odd & mismatched. You need to plan it carefully if it’s going to look good.

Large format tiles also need a very sound & flat floor, is it concrete or suspended timber?

Do i mean brick weave? Doesn't that use rectangular tiles?
They're large rooms at 50 and 25m2 and the floor is anhydrite screed.

Do i mean brick weave? Doesn't that use rectangular tiles?
Sorry it didn’t register you were using two different tile sizes :rolleyes: . However, if your overlapping adjacent tiles, manufacturing tolerance may still be an issue for the reasons I stated; perhaps more so with different size tiles; check before you lay.

They're large rooms at 50 and 25m2 and the floor is anhydrite screed.
That’s large enough for it to work but you may also need expansion joints if youve long linear tile runs or an "L" shape. As I said before, make sure you acrylic prime anhydrite screed to avoid reaction between the cement addy & gypsum in the screed.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back