Horizontal unvented cylinder in loft conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, me after some advice again.

After my last post, I've come to the conclusion that instead of relying on a combi to supply 2 bathrooms with hot water, it would be better to go for an unvented hot water tank.

The next question is where can I put it? Ideally I'd like to have the boiler in the kitchen with a hot water cylinder in the loft (which is being converted in to an ensuite). Space is obviously a problem since the only real place to put a tank would be at the front of the house where the sloping roof will restrict the height I have to play with. So the idea of having a 250l horizontal came to mind (such as this)...

1st question: There's not a lot of information around about horizontal tanks. Some say that they are rubbish, Telford says that theirs matches the performance of a vertical tank. Is there any truth in that or is it just marketing?

2nd question: The preferred place to put the tank would be in the eaves storage space where the roof comes down to meet the front of the house (like this but without the cold tank). It might mean that we have to expand this storage area, but it's kind of dead space anyway once the roof comes below a certain level. So has anyone ever placed one in a similar position and how much space has it actually taken up? How was it boxed and what happens should it need to be replaced - could it be easily removed?

Unfortunately, the only other place we could put a cylinder is under the stairs which isn't ideal since we really need to use that for storage and I don't know what the situation would be having a water tank so close to the electrics. (Don't have an attached garage)

If anyone has any experience on this, I'd really appreciate if you could share what you have seen, done or give some pointers. Also, if I'm way off the mark here, please feel free to tell me so!

Thanks in advance.
Dave.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't touch a Telford with a bargepole myself...have a look at Joule Cyclone. I've just put one in, in a loft, very nice cylinder at a reasonable price.

Be aware that the way a horizontal cylinder works is slightly different from a vertical one.

Whilst they are a solution to a siting problem, many would only use them as a last resort.

Consequently you will often see them offered second hand and quite new after not making the users very pleased.

Tony

Thanks both for the advice.

@muggles You wouldn't touch it because it's horizontal or because it's a Telford?

Ideally I'd have an upright one and I'm just going through the architects diagrams with a tape measure to figure out whether it will be possible. After the work we will have 1 family bathroom with bath and shower and an en-suite with just a shower. Having gone through the various calculators, it would seem that a 250 should be ample but if I go for an upright I'm going to be struggling for height as the roof slops downwards.

Telford seem to be the some of the shortest uprights and I might be able to get away with a 200l in the space that we have, which I suppose would be alright. So long as Telford is!

Sponsored Links
Faced with limited height in a roof space, I once fitted two 100 li cylinders connected in parallel.

I used symmetrical pipework but still included balancing valves.

But did not need to do any balancing but still had the valves just in case!

Tony

Thanks both for the advice.

@muggles You wouldn't touch it because it's horizontal or because it's a Telford?

Ideally I'd have an upright one and I'm just going through the architects diagrams with a tape measure to figure out whether it will be possible. After the work we will have 1 family bathroom with bath and shower and an en-suite with just a shower. Having gone through the various calculators, it would seem that a 250 should be ample but if I go for an upright I'm going to be struggling for height as the roof slops downwards.

Telford seem to be the some of the shortest uprights and I might be able to get away with a 200l in the space that we have, which I suppose would be alright. So long as Telford is!
Wouldn't use a Telford in any shape. Joule do a shorter, fatter version of their cylinder which can be useful in situations with limited headroom

Wouldn't use a Telford in any shape. Joule do a shorter, fatter version of their cylinder which can be useful in situations with limited headroom
Yeah, I had a look at them yesterday and one might just fit - especially since it's got a domed top which may just get the clearance. It's back to the architect today to see what he says about space. Thanks for your help. Dave.

Joule all the way for me too.

Becareful with architects..... They're famous for thinking things get installed with telekinesis rather than a big hairy plumber... Especially when small spaces are concerned.

They also forget that things will need servicing and repairing in the future.

There is one installation I know where the horizontal cylinder must have been installed by midget plumbers.

I don't think I could ever get into the eves space where it is installed.

I needed to get to the PRV there because it was passing but luckily discovered the fault was caused by a joystick tap on an ensuite basin.

Joule all the way for me too.

Becareful with architects..... They're famous for thinking things get installed with telekinesis rather than a big hairy plumber... Especially when small spaces are concerned.

They also forget that things will need servicing and repairing in the future.
That's exactly what I'm trying to consider. I don't want to install something, have something go wrong and it be a b!tch to work on or replace.

So as a rule of thumb, let's say I was going to store a 600mm width cylinder in a cupboard. What sort of clearance would be the minimum expected?

I like to have at least 100 mm on sides where there are connections.

Other sides just 10 mm.

But also needs to be space for the other parts on the pipework.

Usually can be squashed into the "corners" left between the cylinder and square cupboard or above.

Horizontal cylinders offer less choice due to the requirements of certain fittings,

But the key issues are the immersion heater, tprv and main thermostats. The immersion will need a good 20" or so for removal and wiring assuming you can actually get to it. Tprv is that the top and 12" or so should be plenty.

With vertical cylinders its less of an issue as the likes of Joule will make everything in the position you want, although most of the shelf cylinders have it within a 90 degree arc.

There are other options too, with regard to reheating cylinders, but it gets expensive, and less efficient on the heating.

I had a 250 ltr joule cyclone horizontal tank fitted and am very pleased and impressed with it. Heat recovery time is great and we now have plenty of hot water. I also have the secondary hooked up as we have a large bungalow and it would take ages to get hot water otherwise.The fact the connections are at either end on these makes things easier and the design appears to have removed any chance of water stratification.

the design appears to have removed any chance of water stratification.

An upright cylinder can reheat for only a short time and because of stratification can have a chunk of hot water at the top ready to use.

A horizontal cylinder mostly heats the water for the full length and so needs much more time to give useful HW after reheating from cold.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back