Horrible old bath...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, new to the forum and looking for a bit of advice.

Moving into a new flat in a couple of weeks, 3 bed, 2 bath, balcony very spacious, new carpets, new double glazing and a steal at 650 a month, the catch is the previous tenants were in the property since the 60´s and needs decorating, fine by me!!

The problem is in the en suite, the walls, tiles and fittings are 3 different shades of green, but thats fine and can sort that myself, the bath and sink however are a horrible old lemon/peachy colour, real nasty looking although physically sound and no wear and tear. unfortunately i do not have the money to replace the suite, as much as id like to.

My question is, is there any way of changing the colour of the suite to white myself or failing that, what would be the best colour/way to decorate the rest of the bathroom so that the horrible colour is not as noticable or blends in more?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
don't say its a horrible colour. That's just a matter of taste. Someone else will think that your taste is horrible.

If you use towels, blinds and mats in very strong colours, they will overwhelm the colours of the suite. You can also change your towel colours at whim and the bathroom will feel like it is a different colour.

Pink is overwhelmed by deep or dark or bright reds, blue by strong blues, etc.

Lemons are not the same colour as peaches.

You can get a bath re-enamelled if your landlord agrees.

If you take up DIY you can get a simple white bog and basin very cheaply and fit them yourself when you learn how. Nice taps can be expensive.

Thanks johnD, obviously when i say "horrible" that is IMO :)

will take those ideas into consideration.

The landlord has pretty much given us free reign to decorate how we want, and sure he wouldnt mind us re-enamelling as it would benefit him in the long run.
If i get quotes for it, do you have any idea of what price range it should be?

cheers

nope.

You can buy a new bath for £100 though.

Sponsored Links
ajrobb, many thanks for the link, looks promising! googled some reviews and sounds pretty good!

once ive moved in ill give it a go let you know how it goes!

Sussex bath enameling - Chadder in Forest Row ;)

Just refit the whole bathroom!

Complete new suite for £200, cheaper if you find one of B&Q's on offer. Hardly worth refinishing, unless you especially have a fetish for an enamel bath (many, women especially, prefer plastic as it's warmer on the bum). You could probably sell the cast iron one for a good few quid.

Tiles - white contract tiles aren't expensive, throw in a few coloureds for a feature border (tip: if you've got a wife, allow her a hand in designing the colours, stops them complaining they don't like the colour just as you finish)

Skill definitely in the DIY bracket, fun too!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back