320.3 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_0048.jpeg
    IMG_0048.jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0047.jpeg
    IMG_0047.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
The stuff in your picture looks like sisal string. I can't see any hair.

1686504140259.png

The term "horse hair" is often used for what is actually coconut fibre (coir)

Once it was imported at low cost from the Empire as an agricultural by-product (practically a waste material) it became very widely used, for example in mattresses. The age will give you a clue.

It can be recognised by being uniformly ginger in colour, though you might need a microscope to be sure.

It smells different when a sample is burned.

Last edited:
have to say it doesnt look like horsehair to me -having spent quite a lot of time stripping out lath and plaster from a listed building over last few weeks

apparently it can contain anthrax....

Sponsored Links
have to say it doesnt look like horsehair to me -having spent quite a lot of time stripping out lath and plaster from a listed building over last few weeks

apparently it can contain anthrax....

Agreed, on both counts.

Anthrax can remain dormant in horse hair but reported cases of infection remain lower than one per year. Less than one per year could be zero per year. One source I have seen has said that there have been no cases for 20 years in the UK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back