Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz not heating water in timed mode

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all!

First of all, thank you in advance for picking up this thread.

I've moved into my apartment 4 months ago, and have had no water heating issues until two weeks ago. I have a Horstmann Economy 7 Quartz, and it's switched on to "timed". I also have a Channel Plus XL, which indicates the times when the water heater should be heating up water. At the time of this post, I've checked everything and this is the situation:

The water should be heating up from 5pm to 11pm. The Channel Plus indicates the time as 6:31pm which is correct. However, the "timed" light has not come on. Ever since the water has gone cold, I have checked it randomly to see when the light comes on, and it simply hasn't yet. I've also tried rotating the clock dial on the Economy 7 Quartz to see if it comes on, and have not had any lucky. The clock dial (which is on the Economy 7 Quartz) indicates that the time is roughly 6pm.

I remember when I moved in that the "timed" light was generally on when I came back home from work (around 7-8 pm). Now, the "timed" light isn't coming on at all.

I now have to use the Boost timer to get any hot water at all, and the hot water generally runs out after 5 minutes under the shower, even though I set the timer on 40 minutes before I get in, and keep it running during the shower.

I don't know if there is enough information in my post for you guys to help me. Has anyone encountered this problem before? I've been scouring the net, but haven't found anyone with this type of problem. I also can't figure out which of the Economy 7 Quartz or the Channel Plus are responsible for the water heating (they both appear to be doing the same thing).

Thank you again for picking this up, and if anyone has any tips I would be most grateful!

Sponsored Links
First thing I would check is that the times are definitely set to PM not AM.

Secondly check that the programmer is set to timed/twice not OFF

Does the light come on if you choose Continuous?

Simple things first as someone may have messed with it or bumped one of the buttons.

Jon

Hi Aquaheat,

Thanks a lot for your reply! I've attached the pictures to this post (I think). Sorry, I'm not sure how to get them to show in the thread itself. The time is set to PM I think. How could I put it in Continous?

Thank you again!!!

Attachments

• Message_sans_titre (1).zip
    6.4 MB · Views: 2,865
Sponsored Links
picture is attached as a .zip

Just use the upload a file button bottom right of the post box and select browse and choose your picture

Have done the pics for you

20160130_192745.jpg 20160130_192758.jpg 20160130_192825.jpg 20160130_192900.jpg

Thank you for that! No, but when I hit 3am it came on!

My thoughts at the minute are that the E7 is coming on during the night but the ChannelPlus is turning them off at 11 so you arent actually heating the water.

If the Light comes on when you move it to Midnight then leave everything for an hour and see if you then have a nice full hot cylinder.

Ok, I just put it at 3am to have the timer switched back on, and I'm going to leave it. By the way, it switches off when it reaches 7am. I think you're right though, I wake up at 6am and haven't seen the light on when I wake up. Is there a way to get the ChannelPlus back in sync with the Quartz? Or maybe just turn the ChannelPlus off somehow so that it's not interfering?

And BLESS YOU! I finally have hot water without the boost which was costing me a fortune in electricity bills! Thank you so much!

OK leave it on 3 for an hour and you should have a hot cylinder.

If so use the SELECT button on the ChannelPlus to change it to CONT on the programmer and reset the time on the E7 to normal and you should always have a full cylinder in the morning then.

Boost on the E7 only operates the top immersion and gives you enough for a basin or so but never a massive amount.

The timed one operates the bottom immersion and heats the entire cylinder overnight on a cheaper tariff.

Jon

All right, I'll give it a shot! If it's on CONT, will it constantly be on (ie run up a major electricity bill) or would the heater then just go by the 3-7am cycle?

Great, thank you so much for helping me out with this!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back