Horstmann Electfic 7-- electrician or plumber??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with my hot water and I'm confused as to wether I need a plumber or electrician???

I have a Dimplex unvented hot water tank which is linked to a Horstmann Electric 7 programme/timer. The tank is programmed to come on during the night/cheap electric hours (economy 7 system) and it heats a tank full of hot water for use during the next day.
For two days last week I had boiling hot water in the morning, insanely hot!. Then the following day I had no hot water in the morning.
I have a Boost button on the Horstmann programmer which still works; this heats half a tank of water during 1 hour. This is what Ive been using to get by on.
I have reset the Horstmann device and this has not helped.
I am the homeowner. The tank is in a new build apartment. It was installed in 2009/10

Can anyone please help? Do I need a plumber or electrician??

Sponsored Links
To my untrained ear, it sounds like the main imersion heater is on the blink. The boost button usually heats a second one. As EFLI says, you need a plumber/heating engineer that can work on unvented water systems.

Sounds like your thermostat on your bottom immersion(night) has failed and was letting power to immersion past its preset setting(65-70c), eventually the overheat trip kicked in and killed the power to the immersion, get electrician to investigate, and replace and reset any deffective parts.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like your thermostat on your bottom immersion(night) has failed and was letting power to immersion past its preset setting(65-70c), eventually the overheat trip kicked in and killed the power to the immersion, get electrician to investigate, and replace and reset any deffective parts.

Sounds like it to me too, job for a sparky

It very well may be a job for an electrician but rather than find out it isn't I am sure the OP would prefer ONE person who can do both and repair the system should that be needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back