Horstmann Quartz E7 timer not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have just moved into a flat and the immersion heater timer isn't working. It's a Horstmann Quartz E7. The clock is running but the timer doesn't come on at the set time. The boost is working fine. Do I need to get a new timer installed or is there anything I can do to fix this?

Sponsored Links
You don't describe the rest of the installation.

Sometimes there are two elements in a hot water cylinder. The bottom one is designed to operate during the off peak tariff and heat the whole cylinder. The top element is for a peak rate boost and only heats the top of the cylinder.

If you have this set up, it may be that the timer is fine, but the lower element has failed.

Thanks stem,

Unfortunately I don't know if there are two elements. Is there any way to check this?

The timer light wasn't coming on when I tried moving the clock to the 'on' time. I took the panel off, had a look inside but didn't do anything and put the cover back on then the light was coming on but still not heating the water (it didn't make any sound like the boost does).

You can check if there are two immersions by looking for the wiring. If there's a night-time main heater and a daytime boost, you should find a cable going to an immersion connection at the bottom of the water tank; the idea is that this comes on when you have cheap rate electricity in the middle of the night to heat the whole tank.

The daytime boost operates a second immersion heater at the top of the tank; assuming you've used a lot of the hot water in the morning (shower, washing up etc) the tank will be cooler when you get home in the evening, so the boost is to quickly heat the water in top of the tank rather than the whole tankful.

If you only have one wire to the tank you really want it to be at the bottom so it heats the whole tank; if it only goes to the top you'll only ever heat up the top third of the water.

If the overnight heating isn't happening, either you've got a dead immersion heater (or more likely its thermostat), or there's no Economy 7 supply, or the E7 fuse to the water heater has blown.

PJ

Sponsored Links
or there's no Economy 7 supply, or the E7 fuse to the water heater has blown.

PJ
If you have a Horstmann Quartz E7 there will only be one mains feed in to the timer. There is no separate E7 feed!
The timer is set to sync with the Econ7 times.

As stated above. Look at the wires going to the tank. You should have two cables, one going to a heater at the top of the tank, and one going to a different heater at the bottom.

If the boost works then there is power going to the timer.

The possible problems are:
Immersion at bottom element broken or thermostat stuck or overheat safety has tripped.
or
The Horstmann Quartz E7 is knackered. They do die from time to time.

Do you have a test meter & know how it works?
If not then its something any decent electrician can sort for you in an hour or so.

Thanks, I just checked and there's only one cable which goes into the top of the tank. Sounds like it's the horstmann quartz? Guess I'll have to get an electrician in either way to fit a new one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back