Hose Pipe Help???????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an outside tap at the side of the house and every year I spend many, many evenings running round to the front and running round to the back garden with overflowing watering cans to water my plants :oops: . Ive been meaning to get a hose pipe for years and after one said session I popped in Wilkinsons and Argos to have a look at what theyve got. Oh my word there are loads of types with different attachments etc, i could really need some help please :oops: .
Firstly, I know obviously that I have to get the right length so I will have to check that, no prob there.
Secondly, as I mentioned, i have to water round front and back so hose will have to turn corner. Im mentioning this because I borrowed a friends once and everytime it turned the corner it kinked and stopped the water flowing, so annoying.
Thirdly, (phew), Im at an absolute loss as to the right attachment for my tap. Are they just a basic type for outside taps or will i have to know tap spout size etc-this is the question Im most stuck on as there seemed to be loads of types in the shop.
Any help would be great as Im sick of legging it round garden like Lindford bloomin Christie every night! :cry: View media item 34624 View media item 34625 View media item 34626

Sponsored Links
Give it 2 more sunnyish days and they will have a hosepipe ban anyway.

Standard taps generally. Assuming you have an external one.
Indoors there are many, but is it a mixer or a spout, fixings come to fit a variety.

A adjustable spray nozle would be your best bet for the hose end, then you have a choice and if just want it as a hose open the valve fully.

Pic of the tap in question would be good.

If your outside tap is like this one - Screwfix 41948 - the hose you need is 15mm or 1/2".
Use a reinforced hose, as it will last longer, and Hozelock connectors actually screw directly onto the tap, which is a bonus.
B&Q Scotswood have what you need!
John :)

the only make of garden hose i have found to be any good is Hozelock but there plastic connectors are rubbish

Sponsored Links
Don't get one of those hoses that reels up flat into a cassette.

Not only do you have to unreel the whole thing every time you want to use it, they are also the worst for kinking when they go round corners.

I tried to download some photos of my tap but the site wasnt having any of it :evil: . Ill try again though. I looked at the screwfix tap which is very similar to mine apart from mine doesnt have any thread on the end, the spout, like the one in the pic. Its just smooth.
Thanks for the help. :D
What makes it even harder to use is that the tap is outside, but the handle to turn it on is inside the house so I have to run through 3 doors to the doorstairs loo then run through them again to get out to it. :oops:

Errr the tap is on the outside wall, but you have to go inside to turn it on....?
We await your pics with growing interest :D
Nhoj :)

Hi Ive downloaded my pics at last. The last photo is of the handle that is inside my house under the sink. :confused:
I was out on my bike today with my friend when we stopped off at a garden centre. Had a look at the hoses there but there were loads. :oops:

Now that is a tap and a half.... :D
Far better to have a correct outside tap fixed to the wall, and run new pipe through the existing hole back to the stop cock under your sink.
However in the mean time, you can fix a length of garden hose (plastic, reinforced) to the bit of copper pipe that sticks through the wall, and secure the hose with a jubilee clip or two that will stop it blowing off under pressure. Similar to what you've already done, actually! At the other end of the hose, fit a nozzle spray gun that has an off trigger. This will allow you to do as much watering as you like, then when you are done you can isolate things with the under sink stopcock.
Tesco's, garden centres have what you need. If you find the hose end won't push on, then soften it by dunking it in a pan of hot water for a minute.
Buy a reinforced hose - if you look at it closely you'll see a woven string pattern just below the surface of the plastic.

Told you it was a funny little thing :confused: Goodness knows who thought it up.
Please excuse my ignorance but is a Jubilee clip a metal tightening clip that is the same as the rusted one in the 2nd pic?

Aye very similar - properly called a worm drive clip, they are tightened with a screwdriver or small spanner, rather than your thumbturn thingy.
Wickes 424-923 for example.

John thats brilliant. Ive made some notes as to what everyone advised me to take into account.
I need one asap, a lot of my tubs died when we had those 2 hot days coz I just couldnt keep up with my watering cans.
Il let you know how i get on. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back