Hot air gun for capillary joints?

Sponsored Links
Piece 'o' pizz with one of these...

IMG_2622.JPG

Sponsored Links
You checked a gas leak with a naked flame? Now who's a muppet?

Headaches from a gas leak? WTF are you on about?

If a heat gun is going to generate enough heat to melt solder, then it is going to do the same harm as a blow torch. If you are too unskilled to use a blow torch without setting fire to the surrounding areas (gas leak detection notwithstanding :rolleyes:) then you should probably give up.

There's every need. We can't offer you a solution if we can't see the problem. What you deem necessary information and what a professional deems necessary information are very different things.

Two words..... Capillary Action.

But then you're obviously such a clever clogs you know all about that and have never ever ever had it happen to you. :rolleyes:

This usually happens when a space cadet doesn't get the answer they were hoping for but persists to pretend to know better.

Now... I politely suggest you go and learn to use a blow lamp properly.

Where did I say I checked for a gas leak with a naked flame. Suggest you learn to read.
Headaches from a gas leak? Yes. Quite common. I suspect I can safely say I've spent more time in gas contaminated atmospheres than the rest of you put together, and yes, it'll give you a headache.
I said nothing about setting fire to anything though there's clearly a certainty of scorch.
Capillary action? Yes know all about that. It isn't plumbers magic.
If you read the question, and I'm assuming you can read, there's absolutely no need for a photo to answer it.

Don't know how good this brand is but, in any case, these materials, which tend to be polymer based, probably won't work on anything that isn't straight tube, due to lack of conformity

I remember using http://www.loctite.co.uk/metal-filled-compounds-4485.htm about 40 years ago to repair an exhaust manifold that had crumbled around a stud. 120.000 miles later, the repair was still good.

Doubtless, there would be scepticism among some on here towards the idea of bonding pipe using a polymer, but then, who would have thought about plastic pipe, or push fit connections?

How else did you get a nice wee flame on a coupling?

Please learn to read. It's not difficult. What I wrote was "I found the first on the first system I had - a nice wee flame on a coupling". In simple terms, I opened the cabinet, and found a flame on coupling. Coupling loose, gas leak, gas ignited, flame. Simple.

I think so. I have a degree in it.

I imagine you have. You have to live with the sound of your voice.

Yet another tea boy from an engineering firm of some kind that thinks he knows it all and doesn't like to be told he is a useless [insert appropriate phallic noun here].
Bit long in the tooth for a tea boy. Spent most of my working life around gas at up to around 1000psi, so had plenty of opportunity to learn a wee bit about it.
As for knowing it all, I certainly know a hell of a lot, but unlike some on here, have always thought that the more I learn, the less I know.

Get some strait sockets and a new corner put a new piece in with the elbow already soldered,
In other words make a new corner joint and two legs and solder in a new piece.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back