Hot Connection onLeft or Right Shower Bar Valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am putting in the plumbing first fix for my new Twyford X120 Bar valve and do not know which side the hot inlet should be. Can anyone help?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've always told people that hot goes on the left as most people are right handed and when reaching for a tap, blindly, or in a moment of panic, such as following a burn, they are more likely to grab the cold and not get scalded!
What do you reckon? (y) Or :confused:

Sponsored Links
OP is are the inlets hot marked? Usually are. If not time to read the MI, it's on page 10!! Self help is a wonderful thing (y)

As Picasso mentions hot on the left as the standards go.

Another story I heard was that it goes back to when internal running water was a new concept. There was only cold running water at that time and the tap was always placed on the right of the sink as most people were right handed (corrie fistedness/left handedness was frowned upon back then, in schools they forced left handed students to learn to write with their right hand), so when hot water came the sensible place for it would be to the left of the cold. That was then later adopted as a standard and also kept like that for the blind so they would always know where the hot tap was.

Last edited:
OP is are the inlets hot marked? Usually are. If not time to read the MI, it's on page 10!! Self help is a wonderful thing (y)

As Picasso mentions hot on the left as the standards go.

Another story I heard was that it goes back to when internal running water was a new concept. There was only cold running water at that time and the tap was always placed on the right of the sink as most people were right handed (corrie fistedness/left handedness was frowned upon back then, in schools they forced left handed students to learn to write with their right hand), so when hot water came the sensible place for it would be to the left of the cold. That was then later adopted as a standard and also kept like that for the blind so they would always know where the hot tap was.

Ok, that makes sense and sort of supports my theory too... with a bit of history on the cold supply only front :D
The Latin for left is "sinister" and BTW, I'm left handed... my first headmaster never believed me and always used to cane me on that hand... idiot, no more writing for me on "those" days! :p

Yeah, my old mum was forced to use her right hand to the point that she was punished if she didn't, now she's ambidextrous!

Yeah, my old mum was forced to use her right hand to the point that she was punished if she didn't, now she's ambidextrous!

As am I! Seriously, I am! See, I just typed that with my right hand!! :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back