HOT HOT HOT!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. My name is James and I am a site manager in construction and therefore when it comes to central heating systems have not got a flippin clue :(

Hence why I'm here (obviously!?!?!).

The problem is simple - I cannot get hot water through the central heating system without having the heating on. Does this mean it's the three port valve? If so, what the hell does a three port valve look like? Other useful inforamation would be to know if they are cheap and easy to replace (I'm thinking not) and if there is anyway I can manually over ride it.

History - It's an old boiler that (IMO) needs the thermostat replaced as it kicks out full heat all the time and will not be controlled by the room-o-stat. I replaced the hot water tank a few months ago as the old one leaked and did the pump at the same time. There were several leaks on the system and I think one leak was on the three port valve (hence why I asked what one looked like).

I think that's about it...

Thank you in advance for any help forth coming ;)

Sponsored Links
this is one 3 port valve. some have plastic tops or metal but all basically the same.

imagesug.jpg

Nice one!!

Is there any way of testing it to make sure it works? Or can i manually lock it to hot water only?

if you put hw on only at programmer and hw calling at cylinder stat.

and all three pipes from the valve are hot then its passing.
what make/model valve is it ?

Sponsored Links
That's the trouble.... Switching the programmer doesn't work?!?

At present I turn off the boiler (by turning the stat down) as the heating will blast out (I think the stat has gone on the boiler - unless you think it's something else). I am looking for a way, without closing all the rads, to just get hot water now we are getting into warmer time :)

so if your programmer is off for heating.
wall stat down low.

hw on at programmer.
on the end of the valve is a lever that you can push across is it floppy or has resistance on it ?

Programmer off for heating and as low as is it can go on the room stat.

The valve has resistance on it... I take it that's a good thing as I can feel moving parts inside :)

still chucking out all the heat in the world to the rads though :(

that proves the valve is in the right position for hw.
so if all three pipes are hot then the paddle is faulty or crud blocking the port from shutting fully.

I could well be crud. I had a blockage in a pipe a few years ago.

Is it as simple as shutting the water off... draining and checking for a block??

if its a vented system shut or tie up ball valve.
drain system from lowest rad, remove valve and check the valve port.
if you isolate the heating electrics at your fused spur the valve will fall to its relaxed position.
hw open heating closed. then you'll see if the port is crudded or paddle worn etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back