Hot tub electric question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I moved into a new house last year and in the garden was a gazebo that the last owners had a hot tub on.
I'm looking at buying a new hot tub.... There is a square isolator box on the wall near the hot tub location with armoured cable going to and from it. I need 32amp power supply.... Will this be 32amp? How can I tell? The tub will be professionally installed but I need to have the electrics already installed (which I think I have) I just need to be sure it's 32amp.... How do I tell?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Look at the circuit breaker that feeds the circuit - it will have the current rating marked. Post a photo of it if you're not sure.

Ok, I did try and look at the breaker but couldn't see anything obvious.... Just on school run, will take another look and post photo when I get home.... Thanks

Ok, I did try and look at the breaker but couldn't see anything obvious.... Just on school run, will take another look and post photo when I get home.... Thanks

It has numbers printed on it!!! Look for "B32"
MK5932.JPG

Sponsored Links
image.jpeg
Ahhh ok.... Here's a pic of the switch board.... I presume it must be the switch on the far left which does say "32".... All the others are labelled and the far one looks to be a later addition??

You need to get an electrician in to look at your consumer unit ASAP!! There are several bodges but by far the most worrying and possibly dangerous/fatal is the broken MCB in the middle labelled 'heater' that exposed part could be live and deadly if touched! I'm not messing please get someone in asap to look at this! It also appears you possibly have no RCD protection either. The main switch appears to have been replaced with another brand leaving an exposed gap between the switch and MCB's and the far left MCB is yet another brand, its all one bodge and leaves me to wonder what other electrical bodges are lurking around your home!

I thought someone may say something like that.....!!! The broken switch is not live, it was to something from the kitchen but was disconnected when we had the new kitchen.....
The last sparky that I had out did say it needed upgrading.... And he pointed out the mismatched main switch....But he said it was safe.....

I thought someone may say something like that.....!!! The broken switch is not live, it was to something from the kitchen but was disconnected when we had the new kitchen.....
The last sparky that I had out did say it needed upgrading.... And he pointed out the mismatched main switch....But he said it was safe.....

That mcb IS live. Just because it's off doesn't mean it's safe. The bottom of it goes into a live busbar which is live constantly whilst the main switch is on. Get an Electrcian ASAP.

There is no excuse to be ramming any old thing in that DB, it's not like the parts are obsolete. As above that gaping hole and the broken MCB at least need sorting ASAP. The parts now visible through the hole broken in the MCB (how on earth did that happen?) are live and will shock if touched. I was working on one of these DBs the other day, the large gap suggests there could have been an RCD there at some point (they were 4 module RCDs). I hope this isn't a TT system...

Last edited:
What's a TT system? There is a huge switch thing just sitting on the top of the board which has obviously been taken out of the board at some point.... I'll post a pic of it as soon as I can..... It's obvious that at some point someone has taken that switch out and put in the other one (far right)...... I guess I better get the sparky back.... Thanks guys

image.jpeg
Here is a pic of the switch that's just sitting on top of the board.... I presume this should be where the red switch is?? Why would someone take this out?? Either broken or trying to "override" a circuit breaker?? Just guessing as I have little electrical knowledge....

I'd guess there is a fault on one of the circuits and the RCD has been removed to 'cure' the problem of it tripping. But I'm bitter and negative, so it could just be faulty. It shouldn't have been replaced with a normal switch though.

So that switch should go in where the red switch is? The problem is the people who owned the house before us live abroad and rented it out for years.... I have no way of finding out why they have done what they have done..... I'll get the electrician back out.... Last time he came though he said the whole board needed upgrading as it was old and regs say they shouldn't be worked on anymore.... Is that right? Or could an electrician just sort out the switches? Thanks very much for your replies....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back