Hot upstairs level

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I know we are currently going through a heatwave at present, but I'm still keen to see if there are any solutions to cool my upper level. When I visit my parent's house it's lovely and cool throughout but with ours, it's 26C as you open the door and then as you climb the stairs, the heat hits you in the face and it's been getting to 30C in our main bedroom.

Last night I checked and it was still 29.5C at 1 am and this was with windows open, blinds and blackout curtains closed during the day and fan constantly running, but it feels there is just hot air circulating that we can't get rid of. We've even had days where we open both the front and back door to circulate, but it has little difference.

I did read a post a while ago stating that badly installed loft insulation can cause upper levels to get hot because it creates hot spots allowing heat to pass freely from the loft into the rooms below. I'm not sure if this might be a factor?

Sponsored Links
Heat rises, more likely you have good insulation while your parents don’t or you are south facing?many variables affect home temp.My bedroom is the hottest as we face south west and get sun from noon till dusk , have 300 thermalite blockwork which soaks up the heat and releases it like night storage heaters.

We keep small usb fans on bedside table to cool heads, large fan on window sill pulling in cooler night air and a cooler fan unit blowing over the bed all night.
Still uncomfortable in current temps.

Last edited:
Yes we are south facing as well with an 18ft window downstairs although again black out curtains but they seem to do nothing. Bedroom is also south facing but not such a big window but hoped black curtains would do something but it's obviously the rising heat. We have a fan on constantly from the door but then it's just pulling hot air from the hallway, unfortunately we can't place by the window.

Pretty sure parents have correctly laid loft insulation compared to ours that's just thrown in from the bodge-it previous owner and both have cavity wall insulation.

Blackout blinds are only to prevent light, and if they are actually black on the inside act like radiators.

Sponsored Links
No fortunately the blinds are white and non black out but the curtains are black out but white lined on the inside.

I thought the back of house was cooler buy I've just checked and at 9pm it's 26 still in the hallway, 29.5 in the front bedroom and 29 in the rear bedroom. Outside temperature is 22.

Our loft hatch has been open since the start of the heat wave, it makes a big difference. The velux in the loft is also open and the hot air from the house just goes up through the loft.

Andy

Do you have a loft hatch? I've heard opening that can help circulation of cooler air

been doing that for years. I open the back door when I get up.

a window on each side of the house will will give a through draught if there is any wind, but the loft works by simple convection.

What type of roof do you have? Slate/tiled etc
Tiled roof.

Fortunately it does seem a bit cooler today. There seems to be a lot of options on the 'net for whether to leave windows open and close curtains depending on their colour. I'm going to try the theory of opening the window when it's cool outside and close when it's hotter. I will also leave the black out curtains open because although they are white on the inside, they are black facing the room so maybe it's holding it in?

Clutching at straws really

Question whether it's worth it for a few days per year, but outdoor shutters over the windows will work the best, as the heat gets absorbed by them before it even gets to the window

Not sure it would suit most UK homes though!

That's just it, couple of days a year and it's going to end tonight. Could go for an AC unit in the bedroom either portable or fixed but for the sake of maybe 1 week/year it's probably never worth it :D

Tiled roof.

Fortunately it does seem a bit cooler today. There seems to be a lot of options on the 'net for whether to leave windows open and close curtains depending on their colour. I'm going to try the theory of opening the window when it's cool outside and close when it's hotter. I will also leave the black out curtains open because although they are white on the inside, they are black facing the room so maybe it's holding it in?

Clutching at straws really

Ah tiles ok then.

I had essentially the same issue in my last house, the roof was slate, with no felt underneath,

The upstairs was very difficult to cool down.

Hi,
I have the same issue and am trying to keep the bedrooms cool for a toddler.
I have a mid-terrace and recently had firewalls installed in what was a roof space that spanned most of the terrace. Since then, ventilation has decreased and the loft has become roasting. Opening the loft hatch increases the temperature downstairs! A vented dry ridge is on the to-do list.
Other extreme thoughts were: install brise soleil, or extendable canopies on South facing findows, or block them off completely with celotex for the few days a year we have a heatwave.
I've even heard of people hosing down their south facing walls to aid evaporative cooling!
For the moment, I've hired a portable a/c unit, (hose runs up the chimney), and we are all sleeping downstairs (although it's too noisy to sleep with the a/c on). Not the most environmentally friendly solution, but.... bliss!

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back