Cooling upstairs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I just thought I would put a quick question in here on tips on how to cool our upstairs. Obviously we've had some warm weather lately, but even in the last couple of days where it's been a bit cooler, although our downstairs is around 19 degrees with doors open to let cool air in, as soon as you start to climb the stairs, warmer 24 degrees air slaps you in the face.

I've read the poor loft insulation can cause this as well as helping in the winter. Our loft is insulated quite a bit, but the previous owner, shady character that he was, just seems to have thrown it in and I've not got a clue how good it is. Could this be the cause of the heat and if so whether I should get someone in to check the insulation?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Could just be the fact heat rises, my ground floor is 18 degrees, the 1st floor 24c and the loft 30c.The sun hits the top of the property first and leaves it last so roof and upper floor are exposed to sun much longer than the ground floor.

Surely it would be good insulation in the loft that makes it hotter upstairs than down? We keep our blinds closed in the day as our bedroom is south facing. I find it also helps if you leave the loft hatch open.

Surely it would be good insulation in the loft that makes it hotter upstairs than down? We keep our blinds closed in the day as our bedroom is south facing. I find it also helps if you leave the loft hatch open.
That's what I would have thought but I've read several posts that states it keeps rooms cooler by keeping the hot air out

Sponsored Links
That works for me too. Keeping some downstairs windows open as well as the loft hatch and skylight makes a nice cooling draught through the house.

Our loft is even hotter though. It's quite often warm up there despite the weather really

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back