House way too hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 1960's house, that is constantly way too hot throughout the summer - I know that this is expected during the warmer months, but it's way hotter than it should be (upstairs is ~29 degrees in the evening). I've tried various advice I've found online such as keeping blinds down, whilst allowing ventilation to flow through the windows, trying to push air around using a fan etc. We also got our cavity walls insulated last year, but nothing has really helped.
There is some quite thick insulation on the floor of the loft (where it's also swelteringly hot) - is it possible that this is having an adverse affect? Would opening the loft hatch and trying to force some air circulation up there help things?
Any tips would be appreciated. I'm open to spending a few hundred pounds to get this sorted, although not too keen on the idea of air con.

Sponsored Links
Actually opening the loft hatch can be helpful and draw the air through the house ie leaving it open all day and night, give that a try. What you're experiencing is nothing unusual.

Actually opening the loft hatch can be helpful and draw the air through the house ie leaving it open all day and night, give that a try. What you're experiencing is nothing unusual.

Yes, I started doing that when I bought a house on the South Coast and only got to it at weekends. It keeps the house generally cooler, and if you open the front door on a sunny day, you will notice the updraught is very strong. The air rushes into the loft and pours out through the eaves, by simple heat convection.

mine is open as I type this.

A hooked pole, and a fanlight catch, enables you to open or close it without needing a stepladder.

207019.jpg

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/search?query=fanlight catch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back