hot water and rad heating woes.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I think I know what my problem is, but would like an expert opinion please.

Over the last couple of months, when I've got the heating on and it comes to that special time for the hot water to be heated so I can have a bath, there has been a loud banging / humming through what I believe to be the central heating pipes like water hammer. It lasts for about 5 - 10 seconds. It frightens the sh ! te out of me when I'm not expecting it, it's that loud !!

Over the last few days, when I've come to have a bath, the water hasn't been that hot. Also, when I switch the heating on, sometimes it doesn't come on, unless I switch the hot water on as well ??

Sooooooo.... I'm suspecting the diverter valve. I think the water hammer has been because the diverter valve has been moving across so slowly because it's on it's way out ??

Could you please explain to me if the diverter valve lever arm should move across when there is a call for hot water ?? Or does it happen internally and the arm is for manual operation only ?? At the moment the arm is not moving when the heating is on and there is a call for hot water or to heat the hot water.

Any advice would be warmly welcomed.

p.s. - It's a worcester heatslave 15-19 with a honeywell diverter valve (V4044F1125)

Sponsored Links
The lever should be tight when in Hot Water mode, the valve is a spring return type, once the Hot Water demand is over, the valve motor winds the valve to the heating position, the lever then becomes loose, it sounds like the ball assembly on the valve has become soft and is causing the vibration you describe, a Valve overhaul kit is availible for about £10, which includes a new ball seat, however it is awkward to do and best left to a Service Engineer ;)

Thanks for the reply, so I take it I shouldn't be able to see the lever arm move across, it is done internally ??

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Just an update in case anyone uses this thread in a search for the same problem.

I put a new diverter valve on today (£130), which was a pain in the @rse as I'm not a central heating techie (although I feel like one with all the things I've had to change on my Heatslave over the years), and everything seems to be ok - fingers crossed !!

Heating working fine, hot water working fine, etc.

Thanks for the advice Boilerman2 :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back