Hot water coming from cold tap!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently had a problem with our oil-fired boiler. For the 2 days it was off, we relied on the immersion heater for hot water. This has not been used for a couple of years at least.

Central heating is a sealed pressurised system whilst the hot water vents into the cold water storage tank. When the boiler is running, we have no problems at all. There is a cylinder thermostat linked to the boiler However, when we use the immersion heater, we get boiling hot water and also hot water coming out of the cold bathroom taps.

I suspect that the thermostat on the immersion heater has therefore packed up and hot water is venting into the cold water tank.

My questions therefore are:
1. Is my diagnosis likely to be correct or could there be another cause.
2. Assuming it is correct, will this necessarily require a completely new immersion heater.

Any guidance gratefully received. Thanks

Sponsored Links
1. Is my diagnosis likely to be correct or could there be another cause.
2. Assuming it is correct, will this necessarily require a completely new immersion heater.

1. Yes
2. Not necessarily you can buy new stats. But if the immersion heater comes out ok, its a fairly simple job and worthwhile if its quite old or if you live in a hard water area.

This situation could, and has in the past, cause a nasty accident.

If a plastic cold water storage cistern gets overheated because of an immersion thermostat failure, it can soften and collapse, dropping a deluge of scalding water onto the occupants of the room below, like some form of mediaeval torture

Sponsored Links
Change the immersion complete :!: they now have stats that offer more protection ( fail-safe) than old ones.....Loosen it with the system full of water/in working condition ( with the flex disconnected) then drain some water + remove....there are plenty of bent cylinders from doing it other ways ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back