Hot water cylinder - leak from top flange?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Our hot water cylinder seems to have started to leak following some minor alterations to the feed/vent pipework attached to the top.

I'm guessing the cylinder is a little fragile around the flange and the tiny amount of movement involved in adjusting the pipes has somehow caused it to leak.

The cold supply to the cylinder is currently turned off until we get this sorted, but when on (with the taps & feed from the cylinder open) we're now getting a tiny amount of water weeping / bubbling from the top of the cylinder - I've marked the rough position of this on the picture below. It's not enough to cause a problem but it's not something we can exactly leave either as although it's a vented system I don't particularly want to see what happens with a tank full of hot water & the heating running!!

Any ideas on what to do next? Is this something that can be repaired with a little solder if it's a hairline crack around the flange somewhere?
We've left the feed to the cylinder off overnight & partially drained it down to ensure we don't have any surprise water features waiting for us in the morning, and I'm going to cut away the insulation from around the flange tomorrow to try and get a good look at the exact source of the leak.

Can leaks like this simply be cleaned down & fixed with a drop or two of solder over the top or are we looking at a new cylinder...?

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom!

Tim

Sponsored Links
Could just be the fitting screwed in ...1inch BSPx22 copper adapter :idea: . Can`t really see with the foam still there :confused: . either way . drain some water , it`ll either be the fitting needs re doing with PTFE -to comply with regs ;) or hemp+ boss white- to make sure it won`t leak again :) OR can be soldered like any other copper (sheet metal) - if it`s pinholed. Lead free solder, of course. Pity you`re not in Sussex, you could pay me to do a new cylinder :LOL:

Sponsored Links
The fittings aren't loose - don't think they've been touched in about 30 years since the house was built! (we've only had the keys for a couple of months and are doing a bit of a ground to roof refurb before moving in).

Will cut away the insulation in the morning and and if it's repairable will have a go as a temporary solution....

Cheers Nige F - don't fancy a trip to Norfolk?

It would have to be well holed for solder not to work -Permanently. Can you get it replaced on your house insurance :idea: Bit cold for Norfolk @ the mo. Though it is my ancestral home

It would have to be well holed for solder not to work -Permanently. Can you get it replaced on your house insurance :idea: Bit cold for Norfolk @ the mo. Though it is my ancestral home

Now there's an idea.... may dig out the policy in the morning! ;)

Norfolk is a little chilly at the moment - also somewhat annoyed to discover that the heating system doesn't have separate loops for h/w & rads so can't run it till this is sorted. That's a problem for another day !!

Is the chrome fitting a shut off valve - if it is I don't think it should be there as that is the vent pipe, unless I'm not seeing what I'm looking at.

It was indeed a shut off valve - and the pipe was the main water take off from the top of the cylinder - ending at a T with the vent pipe going up into the loft and the hot pipework for the house.

We've abandoned the idea of repairing the cylinder now as the leak worsened on Sunday, and have now replaced it with new along with renewing all associated pipework.

Cheers for your help!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back