Hot water cylinder system should i clean it or replace it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to know any advice about cleaning out my hot water cylinder please or if it is even worth while....

The cylinder was fitted in 2006, but the cold header tank was not touched at the time - it does not have a lid or filter on the output. It looks like it is 50 years old. At some time in the recent past the house did not have a roof and has also had lots of pests living up there (2 legs & wings / 4 legs and tail). I removed the cold tank last night - it was everything i knew it would be. How the last occupiers are still alive is beyond me.

So I am now worried about the cylinder. What should I do? Obvioulsly with no contraints I would buy a new one. I would rather not if possible and wonder what my chances are to cleaning it. After the cylinder, I have renewed nearly all of the hot water pipes for other reasons. The hot water system has been decomissioed since I have been working on the house, so my new pipes are still new.

I also need to pay for someone to run a new gas pipe to the boiler (as had meter moved outside). With this in mind, I am considering getting a combi instead, but next year I am extending and would rather not pay for a complete new system that is going to have to be moved or ripped out. My cold pressure is not great for a combi either.

In the long term, I want the best system possible for a med to large house (which I think is a cylinder?) In the short term I need something that is safe and clean to get me through the winter.

any thoughts (about the hot water system) please?

Rads look good. All done in 2006 i think.

Sponsored Links
keep the cylinder

all it needs is flushing out if your really bothered fill it with a mild bleach soloution overnight after you flush it

it will be easier if you remove it first

while your at it renew the tank
if/when you do replace or fit isolating valves :idea: :idea:

Cheers Kev.

How do i flush it?

If I keep the cylinder then deffo replace the cold tank. I am thinkning about donating the old one to the natural history museum or maybe David Bellamy.

easiest way will be remove it and put a hose in to stir up any carp in the bottom

easier to fill / empty if you can remove the immersion boss (not always easy) tho ;)

Sponsored Links
I shall try the flush in the garden with a hose.

Can I ask another question please:

The cold tank i took out was approx 500 x 500 x 700mm. This was connected to another identical tank that I will remove tonight.

What capacity is this please roughly (just one of the tanks please)?

It looks a lot to me, especially considering the previous occupiers approach to cleanliness.

Not sure what size tank to buy to replace it with. I have a power shower pump to fit, but other wise little demand I would say.

The cold tank I took out was approx 500 x 500 x 700mm. What capacity is this please roughly ?
That's 50 x 50 x 70 cm³ = 175,000cm³ = 175 litres = 38 gallons filled to the very top. Say 25-30 gallons in normal use.

That doesn't sound a lot, particularly if it is a large house with several baths, toilets etc.

Make sure the new tank will fit through the loft hatch. :oops: ;)

Cheers. There were 2 tanks, so probably 50 gallon. They only had a bath tub and kitchen sink.

Do you think i should get a bigger than 50 gallon tank? My hatch is only 500mm x 500mm so I feel a bit limited anyway.

I was hoping that this 25 gallon would be enough: (Remeber this is only temporary for 6 months.) Kids have a shallow bath most nights. I want a long'ish shower in the morning.

Cold Water Coffin Tank 25 Gallon 1390 x 500 x 310mm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back