Hot water filter? Pressure relief valve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

%5BURL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/AndyPK/media/8D0ACD2D-9E8A-4A73-89F8-1D591198BA88_zpsxekmimnd.jpg.html]

%5BURL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/AndyPK/media/B154AC9F-6023-4664-99F5-E7AE75D314F8_zpstch4mz6f.jpg.html]

I have this system in my house.

I intend to change the stop cock because it doesn't work.

Out of interest could someone explain what the 2 items are and do please.

I ask for 2 or 3 reasons.

1. Previously when I have turned the water off at the mains to perform work on the hot water taps, the water is off and then suddenly there will be a significant amount of water comes out and makes a mess, and then stops. I assume that white cylinder is causing this ? Even if I replace that stop cock and use it, it will still have the same result. How do plumbers work round this?

2. I do get a drop of water out of the external pressure relief pipe. This can come from 2 sources. That bar thing out the back, and a pressure relief valve ontop of the cylinder. (I actually think it's coming out of the cylinder one)

3. At some point I will need to get a qualified (unvented) plumber to replace that thing with the limescale on. I have previously been told it's a filter? Seams to have too many pipes though? So that I can purchase one to have on hand, what am I looking for?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Send the pics to whoever is going to do job and they will keep you right. Needs someone with unvented hot water qualification

just done a bit of a search

So it's a pressure reducing valve and strainer.
With a cold water output to match the pressure of the hot (I guess this does the shower/bath)

Maybe a non return valve in their somewhere.

Then the expansion vessell for when the water heats up.
and expansion valve blow off.

Have to have a read.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back