Hot water flow much higher than cold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 21 year old Heatrae Sadia Megaflow system which suffered for a long time with low-pressure. I would get an initial pulse of high pressure,rapidly falling off. The kitchen tap got about 3 litres a minutes.

There is a stop cock before the cold water combination valve. If I close then open the valve the pressure improves for a few minutes, then tails off.

Yesterday I changed the stop cock and it has made a huge difference. The kitchen tap now gets 8 litres a minute hot, and 4 litres a minute cold.

But why is the hot so much faster? Do I need to change combination valve as well?

Sponsored Links
You may not be using the balanced cold water connection off the HW cylinder PRV (pressure reducing vave, normally set to 3bar) but may have a separate PRV on the cold water supply to your kitchen tap and the other cold water users.

Sponsored Links
I haven't touched the combi valve, only replaced the stop cock, but thanks for the advicein the valves.

Attachments

• 20220718_105343.jpg
    20220718_105343.jpg
    265.1 KB · Views: 60
Don't think requirement for a G3 if cleaning/adjusting the PRV IF installed separately on the cold feed.

I have a megaflo. When I get increased initial hot water pressure, I recharge the airgap.

There are instructions in the manual and several on youtube.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back