Hot water issues

...The temperature of the water entering the boiler is lower - hence the temperature differential is greater. Schoolboy physics. :rolleyes:
Differential may be greater, but that has nothing to do with efficiency.
Maybe you don't quite understand the difference between efficiency and efficacy.

Sponsored Links
Checking that the boiler is on maximum hot water settings in winter is good advice. Many people don't realise that a boiler is less efficient in winter than summer. Sadly, you are one of them. :rolleyes:
I didn't realise a boiler was less efficient in winter.
Can you tell me why that is please.

The temperature of the water entering the boiler is lower - hence the temperature differential is greater. Schoolboy physics. :rolleyes:

I may be daft here but what's that got to do with efficiency?

Sponsored Links
Yes you are daft. Efficiency doesn't come into the equation at this point.

Which bit of that do you disagree with? As a device a boiler is less efficient at producing hot water in winter than summer. Just as a kettle full of cold water takes longer to heat than a kettle of warm water.

Which bit of that do you disagree with? As a device a boiler is less efficient at producing hot water in winter than summer.
That bit. A boiler is as efficient in summer as it is in winter, unless you bother to look at the bits behind the dot e.g. a steamer rated as 91% will never be less than 90% and never more than 92% efficient, regardless of whether it is -20 or +40.

edit

In fact, if were to look at the bit behind the dot, a steamer is a fraction of a percent MORE efficient in winter than in summer. Not measurable outside a lab, but if you insist on splitting hairs.....

Which bit of that do you disagree with? As a device a boiler is less efficient at producing hot water in winter than summer.
That bit. A boiler is as efficient in summer as it is in winter, unless you bother to look at the bits behind the dot e.g. a steamer rated as 91% will never be less than 90% and never more than 92% efficient, regardless of whether it is -20 or +40.

Yes that bit plus the bit about me been daft

Has anyone seen the OP who started this thread?

I was wondering if we had answered his question satisfactorily?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back