Hot water, no central heating and no click from thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having some problems with our heating system and a lot of search results brought me to here, I'm not at all familiar with heating systems so I'd appreciate some advice.

I noticed today that the heaters in the house weren't on but there was still hot water, I checked the boiler and the pilot light was off but no error code. As I watched it the pilot light went green briefly then back out again. On the control panel it showed both the central heating and hot water lights were lit, I also noticed if I turned the thermostat up and down there was no click anywhere through the range. The heating system comprises:

- Drayton RTS1 thermostat
- Potterton EP2002 controller
- Greenstar FS 30 CDI Regular boiler

I thought perhaps the thermostat had failed but on reading some topics here that didn't seem likely since it's not a new install so no wiring issues, I then tried switching the heating off from the controller then back on again. I could hear some quiet clicking for around 30 seconds then the pilot light came on and stayed on plus the thermostat now clicks when you turn it up and down. The radiators also appear to have started heating up.

However the display on the boiler is now alternating between a number and two odd characters:

i-wwhpgTN-X2.jpg

The blue light is staying on and the reset button isn't lit. In the case the image isn't showing for both characters the middle bar across is lit and for the left character, the two right bars are lit and for the right character the two left bars are lit to sort of make a cross.

I'm wondering what has possibly caused the fault and what this symbol means? Also and this may be a stupid question but what does the number actually mean in the display? Any manuals I check say it's a display and mention the EA fault code but that's it.

As I was typing this I thought I'd go up and check again and the pilot light was out and the display was just showing a number. I check the thermostat and it clicked just as I turned it so it must have been sitting at the right temperature, I tried turning it to 30 degrees and after about 30 seconds the pilot light came on but the odd symbol didn't reappear.

As it's a Friday night we've not managed to get a hold of an engineer and with the heaters now working it's not an emergency but would appreciate any advice as to what the fault might have been and anything else I should check.

Sponsored Links
If it was me, I’d just put it down to an electrical glitch. Until it happens again.....

That symbol is the condensate trap filling, it will do that every time power is cut and reinstated for your boiler, and as a side note your boiler does not have a pilot light

Sponsored Links
Could be faulty thermostat/on its way out.
wouldnt do it if it was the thermostat dropping out Chris, it does it every time power is interuppted from the permanent live, the boiler thinks it is being fired for the first time so goes into condensate filling mode before it will allow any other control

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
wouldnt do it if it was the thermostat dropping out Chris, it does it every time power is interuppted from the permanent live, the boiler thinks it is being fired for the first time so goes into condensate filling mode before it will allow any other control

Yes mate, I know about this cheers Ian, I thought the op was saying about the thermostat not clicking,I wondered if it wasn’t sending a live return?

Yes mate, I know about this cheers Ian, I thought the op was saying about the thermostat not clicking,I wondered if it wasn’t sending a live return?
But if it was the thermostat, that was at fault the boiler wouldnt lose its permanent live, it would just think there wasnt a call for heat, it wouldnt go into restart mode

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back