Hot water not going to tap?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I just went to change my kitchen tap but had to abort as I was struggling to undo a nut so thought I'd save it for another day.

Problem is I used the stop cock to turn the hot water off under the sink and when I turned it back on again the hot water is not coming out the tap.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
And to be clear, when you turn the hot tap on nothing comes out?

Or the water is cold?

Sponsored Links
So that "stop cock" is more commonly known as a gate valve.

If you're sure you've turned the wheel anti-clockwise I'd say your gate valve is knackered.

Probably best to replace than repair.

The one on the left doesn't work which is the hot and the one on the right does which is the cold.

Can they be replaced?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    342.5 KB · Views: 114
As you have flexis above you may find that you have enough "give" to whip off the gate valve with a pipe slice and slot a level ball valve, like the one I listed above, in its place.

Obviously you'll need to isolate the hot water first.

10 minute job.

Ok so please tell me, how do I isolate the hot water if the valve is broken?

After you turned the hot water off, did you drain the water out of the tap. If you did, then it's possible that you've got an airlock somewhere, so if you can connect a hose between the hot and cold taps, then you might be able to backflush the airlock.

And if that didn't happen, then keep listening to the others.

I did try to do that (drain the hot water). After I turned the gate valve off.

But I don't know how to connect a hose to the taps?

A piece of garden hose and jubilee clips.

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back