Hot water not turning off from boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have an old poterton boiler and seems to work fine but it seems that now even though the timer or clock is set to stop the hot water is still heating up? The spring seems to have gone in the motorised valve would this be why? Or could it be anything else? I have to turn the mains off or turn the boiler off to stop it. If it is the valve is this easy to replace / repair?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Likely your motor has seized in the valve. If you try to push the manual lever over on the valve what happens?

A replacement motor is about £12

When you push it, it has no resistance and stays in that position. Leaving it in either direction does not shut the boiler or water coming through. If that's the case I shall try a new motor, worth a shot I guess.

Actually it's now got resistance when pulling to auto but it doesn't stay in that direction.

Sponsored Links
Silly question but I have taken the actuator off and coming to put the new one on where should it align up? Should I turn the knob / lever all the way to the left, middle or right or does it not matter before I put it on? Much appreciated for all the help so far.

When fitting a new actuator the lever should be latched in the notch.

Is the valve spindle turning freely?

I am not yet convinced that the head was at fault.

Tony

Yes the valve spindle turns fine but want to know when fitting the new head if the valve spindle needs to be turned all the way to the left or right or even in the centre before putting the head back on or if it makes no difference?

Thanks

Just to let you know changing the head worked and it's now turning the boiler off again. Thanks for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back