Hot Water Tank Leaking...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Nice surprise today as water started dripping through the kitchen ceiling. Stopped the hot water tank feed and looked at the tank it seems to have a leak either on its underside or along the seam.

My question is can I still run my central heating without damaging anything ? I thnk I can i.e. I think the central heating is on a different loop but just wanted to check.

Thanks in advance.
Mully

Sponsored Links
Need more info,I'm trying to guess what system you have.....

The tank you've shutdown,is this the big cold water storage tank and do you have a smaller tank e.g. F&E expansion tank and also a cylinder etc?

If it's the tanks which feeds the HW cylilnder, or the hw cylinder itself, yes you can run your heating.

Thanks for the replies so far.

The hot water feed I shut off comes from a large open top plastic water tank in the roof space, hot water does not flow from any taps when this is turned off. The copper tank which is leaking is located in the bathroom within an airing cupboard. I guess its okay as the heating came on and we had no major problems.

Problem now is getting that copper tank replaced or repaired ? are these things expensive ? there are quite a few pipes coming off it so I imagine there is a bit of work there.

THanks again
Niall

Sponsored Links
If you look at Albion water tanks, you might find one withthe same pipe orientation as yours, this will save labour costs, but the tank may be more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back