leaking hot water cylinder.

thanks guys. Tried the Fernox LSX. Didn't hold. Drained the tank and tried again. Came up in a nice blister presumably because I hadn't left it long enough to cure. Tried again and left it for 4 hours but the water is still forcing its way thru. Its not far from the bottom of a largish tank so I suppose the pressure is quite high. Will try the LSX in a bandage idea in the morning (don't have any more LSX left) to give some more support to the repair.
I agree Corgiman, but I'm reluctant to get a new cylinder since I'll be going for a condensing system soon. Looking around for somebody to fit it up if I buy it myself but calls are going unanswered.....

Sponsored Links
greensleeves said:
Is there any compound that can be applied to the side of the tank to stop the leak for a temporary repair?
I use this for car petrol tanks:

plastic_1.jpg

...so a nice clean copper cylinder should be a walk in the park. ;)

thanks again everybody. I've put 5 layers of bandages with LSX on it. Giving it a couple of hours to cure. If that doesn't work, maybe I'll try that plastic padding, then I guess I'll have to replace the tank before I get my new system in.

I'm looking to instal a Worcester Bosch Greenstar Highflow 440 system. If any Corgi plumbers for Glasgow South area interested in quoting post your contact details. thanks

Sponsored Links
thanks Softus.

Well I put some of that liquid metal over the LSX bandages for good measure and, touch wood, it seems to be holding. Hot water back on. Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

The original effort with the plumber's mait may have worked if I had drained the tank and put it on dry, but it emphasises that it will harden even under water which gives the impression you can put it on wet.

The LSX is quite good for working with, and I think gives a good adhesion. I probably should have let it set for half a day, and giving it a bandage lattice for further strength seems like a good idea. One bodged job completed, and I now know how to drain my water cylinder.

cheers

Capitulation! Its still leaking. OK its coming out of the bandage at a different place. Bought a new cylinder. Looks like Bamber gaspipe got it in one!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back