Hot water tank

OSO:

Hot water discharge from tundish
This indicates a malfunction of a thermal cut-out, operating thermostat or the combined temperature
and pressure relief valve. Turn off the electrical supply to the immersion heater and also isolate an
indirect unit from the boiler. Contact the installer or competent engineer.

Sponsored Links
Vaillant:

The casing of the uniSTOR cylinder may be cleaned with
a damp cloth and a little soap. Do not use any abrasive
or solvent material which could damage the case or
fittings.
It is important that your hot water cylinder is serviced
annually by a competent person. Please contact your
installer or Group Service (0870 - 6060777) for further
details.

Stelflow:

GENERAL
Servicing should only be carried out by competent installers and any spare parts used must be purchased from RM Cylinders. NEVER bypass any safety devices or operate the unit without them fully operational.

I'm just curious. Would replacing an element be classed as servicing or more like maintenence?

Sponsored Links
I notice only one makes mention of requiring an aproved installer for repair, and 3 of the manufacturers there make no mention of it being a requirement for maintenence at all. :confused:

Stelflow:

GENERAL
Servicing should only be carried out by competent installers and any spare parts used must be purchased from RM Cylinders. NEVER bypass any safety devices or operate the unit without them fully operational.

This one for example.

If my boiler breaks down and you come and change a part to make it work again, have you repaired my boiler or have you serviced it?

As long as I don't service the cylinder, don't bypass any safety devices and buy my spare parts from RM Cylinders I'm complying with the MIs aren't I?

So if you are not competent to service it, what makes you think you're competent to change the immersion heater?

Surely a competent person would check the safety devices as part of the work?

It's only swapping a part which was deemed to be safe by the qualified installer for the exect same part.

What safety devices are there to check? I've replaced the heater stat and the overheat stat as part of the element replacement. As long as the T&P valve is ok, that's it isn't it?

I thought you knew what you were doing?

You think they are the only safety devices on an unvented cylinder?

Think you had better stop putting people at risk chap. :rolleyes:

If you want to learn more take the time and effort to become G3 certified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back