Hot water timer unit replacement

This is a replacement: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMNTT02.html although that's only a 24h. 7 day mechanical types are fairly unusual now.
or this electronic version: https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SMNTT04.html
Hi John.
I've only ever seen those mounted in 1G back boxes, are they panel mountable too? Instructions only refer to wall mount.

These fit directly in a 66mm square hole:
https://www.ecproducts.co.uk/product/panel-mounted-timer-tm-6192/
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/time...1CI-FYRZlN5IUsQJA9BoCFHgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Sponsored Links
Works fine in the 0&1 positions but I just want more control when it is on and off, due to the complexity of the system we are struggling to get a heating engineer to do the upgrades at the minute so until we do the timer will do.
This is not a complex system from what I see.
What upgrades are you expecting to do?

What upgrades are you expecting to do?
I want digitally controlled system via WiFi with thermostats in each room so I can set the required times for the UFH to be on or completely off a well as digital temp control etc, current ones are the old wheel type and I have no way of having the heating off without going around every thermostat to turn them to the minimum, there are 13 in total, or just manually turning it off on the panel.
I get that you think it is not overly complex, and others will agree who have plenty of experience with systems like this, but we’ve had two heating engineers decline on seeing it, finally found one who is more used to commercial systems and is happier with the set up, for instance we have external cold water boost pumps, feeding into 2 independent hot water tanks with a hot water circulating system, none of it overly complex but a lot to work through.

Sponsored Links
I want digitally controlled system via WiFi with thermostats in each room so I can set the required times for the UFH to be on or completely off a well as digital temp control etc, current ones are the old wheel type and I have no way of having the heating off without going around every thermostat to turn them to the minimum, there are 13 in total, or just manually turning it off on the panel.
I get that you think it is not overly complex, and others will agree who have plenty of experience with systems like this, but we’ve had two heating engineers decline on seeing it, finally found one who is more used to commercial systems and is happier with the set up, for instance we have external cold water boost pumps, feeding into 2 independent hot water tanks with a hot water circulating system, none of it overly complex but a lot to work through.
You need a controls engineer, not a heating engineer. I've been a panel guy (hardware, not software) but out of it for 5 years or so and the BMS kit moves on quickly.

Whereabouts are you? I may be able to direct to others.

So you don't have a cat?

1 Million BTU
DIY.jpg

You need a controls engineer, not a heating engineer. I've been a panel guy (hardware, not software) but out of it for 5 years or so and the BMS kit moves on quickly.

Whereabouts are you? I may be able to direct to others.

Thank you, we are in south Lincolnshire about 6 miles East of Grantham.

So you don't have a cat?
We do, 4 of the little s***s, and 2 dogs, they won”t be too impressed with not having permanently warm floors, but frankly given their current behaviour I don’t care!

Last edited:
It's just that I used to have great plans for detailed zone control, and then realised that if you don't shut all the doors, it's a bit pointless.

Whilst obviously a commercially designed unit, it is not all that complex a panel. Any electrician, beyond a very basic one, ought to be able of making perfect sense of it.

Whilst obviously a commercially designed unit, it is not all that complex a panel. Any electrician, beyond a very basic one, ought to be able of making perfect sense of it.
I would love to believe that is the case but sadly...
I've already stated
However OP appears to be proposing digital temterature sensing on each circuit and remote control of the heating and sorting out the DHW parts etc. all of which is pointing to a BMS. What he is asking for is in my opinion more than many, many, many electricians are capable of, I'd possibly even go as far a saying a majority. I'd love to receive a £1 for every error by an electrician that I've corrected in control systems, I reckon it would buy me a decent car.

This is not a criticism or insult, just a question of experience/ability in exactly the same way as a plasterer is not a tiler...

That's why I suggested 'Any electrician, beyond a very basic one,..'

I've not priced or been involved with BMS for a while, but would have thought one a bit OTT, unless costs have come down since I was last involved. Last I was involved with, ran all of the zoned heating, cooling ventilation and heat recovery of a massive banking call centre.

I've not priced or been involved with BMS for a while, but would have thought one a bit OTT, unless costs have come down since I was last involved. Last I was involved with, ran all of the zoned heating, cooling ventilation and heat recovery of a massive banking call centre.
The last 18 years before retirement was mostly panel building/modification, 15 self employed subbing mostly. One of the jobs was reducing the length of the control panel by 4.6m, no drawings and a very complex manual priority arrangement for 8 boilers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back