Adding a timer to a boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello there,

Is there a 'best' way to do this?
Currently the hot water boiler is controlled only by a fused switch. I can see two obvious solutions; 1. replace the switch with some form of timer unit (I'm yet to find a mains timer unit that isn't 13A), 2. do not replace the fused switch but add an additional switch unit with timer.

Suggestions and reasons why my plans are stupid are most welcome :)

-Martyn

Sponsored Links
Nothing stupid about adding a timer but you could do with giving a bit more detail about the system rather than just 'hot water boiler' which could mean all manner of water heating systems.

The system is related to a household (apartment) water heating system, the central heating is done separately by way of a convection heater and is entirely unrelated. The hot water boiler is used to heat a hot water tank which supplies the apartment including shower unit.

My knowledge of the system is limited (as I haven't had a tinker with it). Unfortunately I'm not able to have a quick look as it's in Birmingham and I'm not!
I am assuming it is wired to the mains on its own circuit (an assumption I make purely from what I've read of how it should be set up).

As a note after some more googling I've come across http://www.heating-and-plumbing-solutions.com/AddCont.pdf which is not-quite-a-guide of how to add a timer unit and should be a valuable resource.

Sponsored Links
There are 16A timers out there like this one - but I cannot say how good they are:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Immersion-Heater-Timer-Mechanical-Switch/dp/B00AC7FRHW#productDetails
Your best bet to go along to your local Plumb Centre or other trade electrical/plumbing centres near to where you live and ask them.

Here is another one:
http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/products/H...sion+Heaters+24HR+16A+230V/4149579819[/QUOTE]

Those are pretty much what I'm wanting to install (although perhaps the digital or wifi equivalent).

Do these units replace the fused switch which is currently used to turn the boiler on and off?

Do these units replace the fused switch which is currently used to turn the boiler on and off?
The requirement for a 13A fused switch often depends on the immersion heater instructions and the instructions for the timer will probably have some requirements as well.
Assuming that the circuit is on a 15A fuse or 16A MCB then other than for isolation purposes I cannot see the point of having one. You could replace the fused switch with a Dual Pole 20A switch as a means of isolation and then fit the timer after that - but you must be guided by what the timer instructions say.

Digital version:
http://www.alertelectrical.com/prod/3291/grasslin-16a-socket-box-mounted-digital-timer-24hr-or-7-day

fused switch.
From which we're all assuming a 13A/16A one will do. If it's a big heater or two in parallel then it's back to plan A chaps. Does your 'fused switch' look like a normal light switch with a fuse hole next to it, like this:
BG950.JPG
?

The FCU for my boiler has a 3A fuse in it.
Everyone seems to have assumed that the 'hot water boiler' is some sort of electrical water heater, rather than a gas (or oil) one with electrical controls.

nabla: does this boiler use gas or electricity to heat the water?

Kind Regards, John

Everyone seems to have assumed that the 'hot water boiler' is some sort of electrical water heater, rather than a gas (or oil) one with electrical controls.
Don't know why:
The hot water boiler is used to heat a hot water tank.
Nor do I, really - but maybe 'hot water boiler' is code for an immersion (which seems to be sort-of what most people seem to have been assuming)?

Kind FRegards, John

I have an idea.

nabla,

Is it a boiler - metal box on wall (usually white) away from hot water tank or

an immersion heater - element with wiring attached to hot water tank?
Lots of people call these 'boilers'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back