Hot water too hot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Worcester Bosch Greenstar CDI boiler and a hot water tank with thermostat (see picture).

With the cold weather our radiators were not getting hot enough so we have turned up the boiler. The radiators are now hot enough but the hot water from our taps is far too hot.

Does this mean that the cylinder thermostat is faulty or might there be some other reason?

IMG_20211207_121118.jpg
in the airing cubpoard

Sponsored Links
Why do you have a combi boiler and a hot water tank together?

Is the tank defunct/decommissioned?

It's a condensing boiler.

Greenstar CDi Compact overview
Our Greenstar CDi Compact combi boiler is suitable for small, medium and large-sized properties with one or two bathrooms.

Are you sure?

Sponsored Links
the top of the tank will pretty much go to the temp of the output temp of the boiler, I suspect the water at the same level as the thermostat will be the temperature on the thermostst

Sorry my fault, I should have given the complete name - Greenstar CDI Conventional

Ok, because it would explain why the HW was getting hotter :).

Obvious answer would be someone has turned the immersion on.

that not being the case, then you look to see how the boiler is heating the hot water. its usually by indirect internal coil, controlled by a valve or somesort.
Perhaps that zone valve has failed and is not closing when it should, or, that stat is knackered and not telling the valve to close.

Some easy checks: look at the zone valve to the tank from the boiler. in a cold/off condition, is the valve indicator showing the valve shut?.
adjust the thermostat up and down. it should "Click" as the contacts open and close. If not, then a continuity test on it may be useful.

What system do you have? can you take a picture of the zone valve?

the top of the tank will pretty much go to the temp of the output temp of the boiler, I suspect the water at the same level as the thermostat will be the temperature on the thermostst

Only if it isn't zoned. (unusual),

Does this mean that the cylinder thermostat is faulty or might there be some other reason?

There could be other reasons and the stat is not set particularly high, but try turning it down some more. It should click at around the temperature it is 'seeing'.

Only if it isn't zoned. (unusual),
could you explain this further - may be my tank /system has always been faulty. Because the top of my tank always sort of matches output temperature no matter what the thermostat says. I have ours set to just below 40 and the top of the tank just after heating will be over 60

could you explain this further - may be my tank /system has always been faulty. Because the top of my tank always sort of matches output temperature no matter what the thermostat says. I have ours set to just below 40 and the top of the tank just after heating will be over 60

Tank temps need tyo be ~60 for health reasons (legionnaires, etc) so setting at 40 is a no-no. The thermostat should be 1/3 from the bottom as hot water rises and you don't want cold water stagnating.

You have to know if your tank is direct or indirect heated. If its indirect, there is a coil which goes through it, fed from the boiler. This feed is usually controlled by a 2/3 port zone valve.
As the water temp drops, the stat closes, sending power to the xone valve. the zone valve motor opens the valve, and in turn, closes a microswitch when fully actuated which then sends a live feed to the boiler to tell it to open up.

If this valve fails closed, you won't get boiler water flow through the tank to heat it up. If it fails open, the boiler will always heat it up whenever its switched on.

The valve wear over time and can begin to pass, shut or not.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back