Hotpoint 440P Washing Machine - Not Rotating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please can you help? My Hotpoint 440P Washing Machine drum will not rotate..
It fills with water no problems and it drains okay when I select the drain cycle.

So far i have tried/checked the following...

The belt is intact and inplace
I have cleared the filter
Selected several different cycles with the same issue

The lights are displayed as if a normal wash is running and the motor doesnt smell like its burnt out.

Its probably worth mentioning the drum did rotate about 5 turns when i tried it this evening and has done this occasionly when i switch off and back on again... This doesnt always happen though.

Any thoughts?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
At a quick glance the brushes don't look too short. But its a little difficult to judge the length from the photo. If they are over between 1 & 2cm they are probably ok. How does the commutator look?
Are you seeing any error code?...flashing lights etc? I would say from your description there may a motor or pcb problem. Check the wiring & motor plug are intact. Otherwise I suspect the motor may be tripping its internal overload or the pcb could be damaged (motor triac/ reversing relay). But you should be seeing an error code regardless.

Sponsored Links
At a quick glance the brushes don't look too short. But its a little difficult to judge the length from the photo. If they are over between 1 & 2cm they are probably ok. How does the commutator look?
Are you seeing any error code?...flashing lights etc? I would say from your description there may a motor or pcb problem. Check the wiring & motor plug are intact. Otherwise I suspect the motor may be tripping its internal overload or the pcb could be damaged (motor triac/ reversing relay). But you should be seeing an error code regardless.

The brushes are about 2 cm long with no error lights on the machine.

I actually got the machine working last night by cleaning the cummutator and gently sanding the tips of the brushes... Fixing it all back together and checking all the connections as per your advise, the machine starting working but it does make a slight grinding noise now when rotating. I presume its the brushes bedding in again but correct me if i'm wrong.

So far so good anyway so thanks for your comments... We have about 8 loads to do over the next day or two so time will tell.

Thanks
Steve

The grinding noise could also come from the drum (or motor) bearings, or perhaps there is something jammed between the drum & tub. Maybe you should check the drum by hand to see if it spins freely & the bearings sound ok. Same with the motor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back