Hotpoint Dryer fusing the electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a Hotpoint CTD00G condenser dryer which i purchased in January. Recently when it is on it has been fusing the other sockets in the rest of the house. I have tried using a different socket and extension lead but non of these worked until i changed the fuse in the dryer's plug. All worked fine but after a week the problem comes back and the fuse has to be changed again. Anyone any ideas what could be causing this and should i Comet to come out as it is still under guarantee although i am not sure what to say to them? Any help gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
call comet mc under gtee .the reason why is condenser is poss blocked with fluff and water spraying on heater .after 2 days when it drys out it works again .tell them its tripping electics they should change heater as well :cool:

call comet mc under gtee .the reason why is condenser is poss blocked with fluff and water spraying on heater .after 2 days when it drys out it works again .tell them its tripping electics they should change heater as well :cool:

Thanks for your advice. :)

For future reference, if an appliance is causing a protective device to activate and cut power to other sockets in the house, dont say "its fusing me 'lectrics" we need more than this sometimes.

For example, a typical modern consumer unit has one or more RCDs. If its one of these that trips, it will have a small test button next to its switch, its body may be bigger than the rest of the trips. They normally protect more than one circuit. These can sometimes nuisance trip - they are very sensitive, and they dont normally indicate a serious fault.

The same consumer unit will also have around 4-12 MCBs. These are smaller and take much more current flow to trip them - indicating a more serious fault. In these cases we would recommend not to use the appliance again until its sorted.

Sponsored Links
For future reference, if an appliance is causing a protective device to activate and cut power to other sockets in the house, dont say "its fusing me 'lectrics" we need more than this sometimes.

For example, a typical modern consumer unit has one or more RCDs. If its one of these that trips, it will have a small test button next to its switch, its body may be bigger than the rest of the trips. They normally protect more than one circuit. These can sometimes nuisance trip - they are very sensitive, and they dont normally indicate a serious fault.

The same consumer unit will also have around 4-12 MCBs. These are smaller and take much more current flow to trip them - indicating a more serious fault. In these cases we would recommend not to use the appliance again until its sorted.

Apologies, this is not my area of expertise hence why i posted a question. However i can see that such a general title may not give people the full picture. It is the RCD < of which i have only one on the consumer unit> that trips when the dryer was switched on, it has never done this before and the MCB associated with the sockets has never tripped when the dryer is in use. Oh and by the way i would never say fusing "me lectrics" lol, hope this information is more in depth and i will endeavour to be more precise in future! Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back