Hotpoint FFA47X fridge freezer Door reversal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, was wandering if anyone has done this:

I am looking to take the hinges off my fridge freezer and putting them on the other side so i can open the door from right to left.
There are screw holes on the other side so it just looks as though i can unscrew and refit on other side.

All the hinges look reversible - apart from the top right one. It seems a little odd that all but one can be moved and reversed.

The top hinge bends up to meet a spacer and then the screw hole - if it is swapped to the other side it would bend down to meet the door and wouldnt need the spacer - is this correct?

Has anyone done this reversal and is it just a case of moving the top hinge and swapping it over or is a special lefthand hinge needed?

Would appreciate any hints and tips that made the job easier - I don't want to unsrew the whole door assembly only to find the screw/hinge wont fit.

many thanks

Jez

Sponsored Links
Took the whole door off in the end, hinge can be turned over to reverse but problem now lies with the door hinge locking bushel - these ARE left and right specific and have holes to confirm this. Looks like i will have to buy two from spares online - £16 for one seems a bit steep for a small piece of plastic :(

Some manufacturers now make these so you have to buy complete door reversal kits including the hinges, stupid idea and waste of money

Sponsored Links
I have been looking to buy a similar Hotpoint model (but slimmer version) and having read lots of reviews, I recall several posts from people saying they have the necessary bits but it is necessary to drill holes. Not sure if this applies to your model.

If I may ask, how do you find the ff otherwise?

I am reluctant to replace what I have because it has 2 compressors, no fans (noise) and more space for unit size plus build quality etc.

Only problem with my existing ff is that with the fridge dial at 2 or below it will switch on and off appropriately but is a few degrees too warm but increase dial VERY slightly and compressor is generally on 24/7. Have posted about this before but not really got to the bottom of it. My guess is that the problem is either due to low gas or having fitted an incorrect thermostat (universal K59)???

Anyone know how realistic the quoted kWh's are on new devices?

Hi, i find the FF a great unit, have had it 4 years now with no problems, size is great for a family of 4 with a large food shop, freezer is also adequate. We are just replacing one freezer drawer as it cracked through incorrect useage and we want to reverse it because it fits our kitchen better opening the other way. It does make funny squeaking sounds every now and then but that is usual with frostless freezers.

In terms of Kw and dial usage - not sure - its not something i get excited about. It has a complete automatic/electronic control panel in the form of a display on the top front of fridge unit - we select the temp and it does it.
Does the job and the fridge was best £500 we have ever spent.
hope this helps
Jerry

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back