Hotpoint First edition loud banging noise when spinning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother erported a very loud banging noise from the washer like the comparison of a large house brick could have been in there. I took the lid off and ckecked inside but all is tight and seems ok. She then attempted to do another wash later and said nothing was happening at all... no water going in or anything. I checked the belt and this had fallen off somehow. I put it back on and tested it on a spin cycle to see if the noise came back and it does and is very loud.

Any ideas what it could be? to me it sounds like a coin is banging about but i cant see it. What can i check and how.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds as if the bearings have gone or possibly the drum support.

Can you lift the front edge of the inner drum up without the outer tub moving (there should be no movement)

Thanks for your kind help.
I can lift the metal inner drum about half inch! and the outer doesnt move.
and that would indicate the noise then from the clanking sounds.

What does this mean? I thought there should be a little slack .

Thanks

Just to add, when i spin the drum by hand i cant hear the noise so maybe the barings, just reading through old threads thats all.

Sponsored Links
The bearings and or drum support have worn and failed.

There should be no movement of the inner drum. If you hear a rumbling when spinning by hand that is because the bearings have started to break down.

Is it a big job and expensive - would i be better off getting a new washer.

Thanks for you help

How hard the job is depends on your abilitys

The cost depends on if there is more damage inside the drum and how hard it is to take it all apart (some bearings are sobs to drift out)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back