Hotpoint Fridge Freezer Cooling Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some help trying to resolve an issue with my 2-year old Hotpoint Fridge Freezer (FSFL 1810 G).

First noticed yesterday morning that the upper fridge compartment was not cooling when my milk was warm. Checked the lower freezer compartment and it was cold but not freezing.

So far I have switched off and unplugged for 2hrs during the day and then turn back on. Did not make a difference. And then last night I again switched off, unplugged and removed all the freezer drawers to check the coils. They were fully iced up (images attached) which I managed to clear. Switched it back on and left overnight. No difference this morning :(

Any advice would be much appreciated.

FG
DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0015.JPG

Sponsored Links
you need to thaw out the internal build up off ice in the internal void
use bowls off warm to hot water inside to help melt the ice
may take several hours changing for warm water every hour or so
you should defrost at least once a year for efficent operation

Thanks for the quick response.

In your opinion, what's the likelihood of this resolving the issue?

pretty good as the external build up can only really happen as an extension off an internal build up off ice

Sponsored Links
That's reassuring, thanks.

I can't physically get to the block of ice as the white (foam?) is covering. Do I just leave the door open and leave bowls of hot water inside?

Sorry for daft question, want to make sure I do it right.

FG

yes fully open and as i said just keep changing the water when it cools
have you left it turned off or restarted at every stage ??

So far I have switched it off twice yesterday and restarted each time afterwards to check. At the moment it is turned on and all food in the freezer.

FG

is it in a warm or cold room ??
if its in a say warmish kitchen then would risk turning it on tomorrow morning
if its a coldish place then tomorrow evening

It's in a warmish kitchen, but I think I will leave it to tomorrow evening to be on safe side.

Will start defrosting this afternoon. Thanks again for all your help, will let you know the results.

FG

thats why i prefer non frost free
as when the visible ice has gone the job is done
quilt on the floor
freezer baskets on the quilt
two quilts over the top
about 1 hour with many bowls off hot water
another hour of scraping and more hot water job done
the bottom shelve will tend to have a well off some sort so you can capture and remove the buildup off water rather than it damaging the kitchen floor

Hi big-all,

Just wanted to message to say thank you very much for your help!

I did as you advised and it worked....have been monitoring temperature over the past week and it is staying cool.

What is the best way to prevent being in this situation again?

FG

glad it worked
i would just suggest a full defrost twice a year but most don't want the hassle

It causes more hassle not to do it! I will schedule in planned defrosting every 6 months from now on.

Thanks again for all the help - you're a legend.

FG

Seems as though the cooling issue is back :( Food in freezer is staying cold but not freezing cold, and I can only anticipate it will get worse over the coming week.

I'm going on holiday in couple of weeks time so was thinking of taking out Hotpoint cover and then calling them over the weekend to come out next week.

Unless you think there is a better option?

FG

they wont cover a pre-existing problem
go through the defrost cycle again
then if you think you can blag what is actually fraud take out cover and hope it runs long enough for them to not get suspicious :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back