Hotpoint FZ150 Upright Freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, I have a Hotpoint FZ150 Frost Free Freezer that keeps freezing solid .
The grill section at the top front of the freezer just becomes a solid block of ice. Can anyone shed any light as to what may be wrong with it. I've checked the defrost heater for continunity and thats fine.

Sponsored Links
Does the top of the door seal seal.also has the door dropped down.

No the door shuts fine and the seal is ok too. The freezer is out in the garage.

Come on Guys, there must be someone out there who can help me :?:

Sponsored Links
We also have the same problem with this "frost-free" freezer.

The right hand top circulation grill is completely caked in ice. Others are reporting this problem - anybody got a solution yet?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Still no answer from anybody as yet !!!
What turns the Defrost Heater on and off ? Is there a defrost timer that I could replace to see if this cures the problem ? As previously posted, the Defrost Heater has continunity through it, but can't be getting switched on or else it wouldn't freeze up ??? Please help somebody :D

CrossChris - Where is your Freezer situated ? Indoors or in a Garage ?

Hi Firbel,

Thanks for your reply. The freezer is in the house - actually in an upstairs room which is unheated but not cold. When I said yesterday that it was the top RH corner of the grill, I was having a senior moment. It is in fact the top LH as viewed when standing in front of the open door. We have the door hung with RH hinges, so the ice forms in the area first opening.

Since writing we have emptied everything out, cleaned everything, sponged out the condensation collector / evaporator on top of the motor, and manually defrosted the fan grille with a hair dryer. It was solid with ice! Now put back into use, but appears to be stating to ice up again. We did not have this problem (or did not notice it) for the first 18 months of ownership. Maybe your heater timer / circuit theory is correct and this goes faulty after a while?

The door seal is very poor. The magnetic attachment side of it seems ok, but the bulb shape rear which is supposed to attach to the door is hanging off in places. The reason for this is that the door lining contains the receiving groove for the door seal. However the door lining is a vacuum forming and the required undercut to form a dovetail to hold the door seal, is so poorly manufactured that the seal will not hold as a push fit. So the manufacturers have glued it on (in places!) with silicon mastic. This is failing and the seal is coming away from the door in places.

I intend to remove the door, clean out the groove and re-glue the door seal tongue back into the groove with a high quality silicon glue / sealer with a continuous bead.

But I'm not convinced that this is the root of the icing problem.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Crosschris

have you defrosted it for 24 hours
this should be done twice a year with frost free if required
frost free just means it will be free off frost as long as the internal voids [you cant see]don't ice up

have you defrosted it for 24 hours
this should be done twice a year with frost free if required
frost free just means it will be free off frost as long as the internal voids [you cant see]don't ice up

Hi Big-All, If that was the case it would tell us to do that in the instructions ??? I've had a look and it does not mention a periodic "Turn off" for defrosting - Pete

Hi Cross Chris, from what you have described, your problem is most certainly the Door Seal. If you take the door off and reseal the Seal you should be ok.

Mine however is something else as the Door Seal is perfect and when it ices up the whole of the top grille is iced up from left to right.

Regards - Pete

Hi Big-All, If that was the case it would tell us to do that in the instructions ??? I've had a look and it does not mention a periodic "Turn off" for defrosting - Pete

thats why i say if required :D ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back