Hotpoint RF28 fridge/freezer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my RF28 has stopped working ,power is getting to the motor and the motor windings are OK ....looks like a relay on the side of the motor...could this be the problem and is a schematic obtainable

Sponsored Links
2 windings on the motor
Start
Run

One should be higher resisitance than the other
measure across both windings and it should be the total of both the start and run winding resistances.

The relay is a start relay that switches the current from the start winding to the run winding

Quite often though the relay and windings are ok but the motor has stuck/seized so it continuosly draws current and gets hot until the thermal cut out operates

Hi again ...I put the meter on it again and the windings were about 20 ohms and 40 ohms and the 2 together 60 ohms...took off what I thought was the relay(little box that plugs into side of motor) and all it seems to be is a sort of junction box with a 15 mm x2mm disc appearing to be the only active element.(no contacts could I see)..this has a resistance of 33ohms .The only other thing is the start capacitor which is labelled 3.5 mF but measures 2.1 mF.would this be the problem....the motor is drawing no current so this looks as tho' the cut out has cut out,can I get at this?

Sponsored Links
the start relay is commonly a solid state relay that has no moving parts.
It uses a PTC (as it heats the resisitance increases) as a sort of switch

Rare for a capacitor start on a fridge but 2.1 mF is low for a 3.5mF capacitor (it should be stated on the capacitor the allowed tolerance typically 5 to 10%)
if it has a start capacitor gone low then yes it could prevent the motor running (cant remember any other than RF capacitor though)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back