Hotpoint RLA31 larder fridge not cooling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a Hotpoint RLA fridge. Stopped working during the summer. Changed thermostat but fault remains. Confirmed operation of new thermostat with voltmeter. Could therefore be motor. How much for a new motor?, could I change it without disturbing the compressor? Any thing else that could be causing the fault?

Sponsored Links
Just managed to remove main electrical terminal cover. Was going to test voltage from thermostat. Switched power on and compressor motor started. Turned power off, checked all spade connectors were secure and restored power. Motor or solenoid heard to hum but motor did not start. After a few seconds there was a click and hum ceased. I turned power off and waited a few seconds before trying again. Motor started. Turned power off for a few seconds and then back on, this time motor did not start but there was the hum of death for a few seconds before the safety switch cut in. Repeated on/off cycle and motor started. :confused:
Prognosis please!

motor seized in comp time to scrap it .

Just managed to disconnect the safety cut-out switch. The switch is burnt out on one contact, I would believe the motor to be seized except for the fact that it has run perfectly for a while this morning. i therefore suspect the safety cut-out switch to be the source of my problems. Anyone know where i could get a replacement please?

Sponsored Links
By safety cut out I suspect you mean Start/Run Relay mounted on the compressor sometimes fitted with an overload in case the motor draws too much current or gets too hot when running.

The compressor has three terminals usually,

Check 1st terminal to 2nd and record the resisitance
Check 1st terminal to 3rd one and record that resisitance
Next check resisitance between 1st and 3rd terminals and record

you should have two low readings and one high one (the high one should be the total of the two lower ones) if not this would give an indication of motor winding short or open circuit

Thanks Lecy, your description of the overload relay is bang on. I will apply your knowledge in the morning. (I don't fancy rummaging around in my garage for my multimeter @ Midnight! :LOL: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back