Hotpoint Washing Machine WMD942 Ultima: pump very noisy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Just bought the above machine as I was looking for a quiet machine for a small kitchen and the so called "Sssh" technology was recommended by the shop assistant.

It is quiet, even the spin except when it is pumping out (which seems to be a lot of each cycles time) and it has been so noisy compared to any other machines I have ever had on the 5-6 times I have used it.

I have had the Hotpoint engineer out and needless to say it didnt make the loud grating/vibrating type noise when he was here. He really didnt believe me, that was even with me playing recordings of the noise I had taken and my daughter backing me up. The pump is clear of foreign items so that is not the issue and his computer diagnostic tool says I haven't been abusive to the machine in any way!

The only difference is that he didnt use detergent when he ran the cycles to test it. So I can't exchange it as apparently the machine is fine! The machine is supposed to be 56db and I don't have a noise meter to hand to measure it. The noise the pump made when he was here was tolerable but still not great.

He also commented that the "Sssh" technology only applies to the motor and nothing else. The new machines also apparently use less water and some built in non return water ball mechanism will make noise.

And needless to say the grating pump noise is right back now he is gone and I am using detergent! Maybe the ball mechanism is disrupted my soap suds? However it does it on rinse too.

Before I get into a wrangle with the shop about the machine and trade descriptions etc etc I plan to vary the detergent amount and type to see if that helps and also maybe try to pack some sound proofing around the pump area just to see if I can tolerate it.

Would anyone be able to offer any advice or have any experience of this issue?

And if I cannot live with the intrusive pump noise and I can manage to get it exchanged, any advice on a nice quiet machine?? I am not concerned about water consumpion if I can get a quiet machine.

Thanks in advance for any help offered

Sponsored Links
Yes the pump is noisy there has been a few mods to the pump get them back to change it

The engineer did exactly that, replaced the pump and the noise has gone.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Hi, resurrecting this old post in case anyone can help.

I have exactly the same issue with a newly purchased hotpoint WMUD10637P "super silent with sshh technology" washing machine.

I expect the same pump is used in this machine as the others - the symptoms are the same -very lound rythmical deep noise when pumping out.

Hotpoint have been out but weren't able to diagnose anything.

Does anyone know what changes Hotpoint made to their pumps? Logic suggests that including a non-return valve on the waste side of the pump could have been the change, but I'm not an expert and not sure...

I intend to write to Hotpoint and complain that this is a design issue, the more informed I can be the better - any advice much appreciated !

The new pumps are water cooled. And have changed supplier, the ssh you are on about is the wash only not the spin or pump out.

Thanks. What about the non-return valvle / loud noise problem - do the new pumps help with that?

The non return valve was deleted cos it costs money and only use on sink spigots and not standpipes. The noise is down to the pump been made very cheap. And if they get jammed they take out the pcb cos there's no thermo cut out in there like the old ones. It would be nice to put a inline fuse so when it jams it pops the fuse but this costs money. So when it blows pcb hopefully the user will scrap the mc and buy a new one hence the sale of a new mc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back