Hotpoint WD860 producing a whiff of burning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a washing machine disaster weekend. First my tenant's washing machine becomes faulty and now the one in my flat has died on me. I'm replacing the AEG after some good advice on this forum, but would like to know what tests I can carry out on my Hotpoint WD860, 1600 spin. Initially, an F05 message popped up on the display and the machine wouldn't drain, but after jiggling with the hose, that message disappeared although the machine still doesn't appear to be pumping. More worryingly, the machine was producing a distinct smell of burning. What could be causing this?

Sponsored Links
Check the filter it's blocked. Remove rear White cover then unclip the clip round the big black cup

I've unfastened the clip at the base of the black rubber cup which appears to be clear of any obstructions. There is another clip to the top of the cup but I can't seem to shift this. Could the problem lie elsewhere?

Yes undo the clip at the top there's rubbish in the black cup

Sponsored Links
I've unfastened the cup from the top and inside the cup there is another filter with a hollow ball which I'm assuming is supposed to be there. There were a few bits of rubbish trapped in the filter such as plastic, lint and even a leave stem. Is a blockage such as this enough to prevent the pump from working and what exactly caused that whiff of burning? Also, I've just remembered that when the machine became faulty, it caused the mains fuse box to trip.

Check the pump impeller as well that's at the end of the waste pipe , unclip it and look inside poss a elastic band cotton bud etc jammed in there. If the waste goes to a sink spigot check that as well. You could flush the drain hose out as well

I've cleaned the impeller at the end of the waste pipe and I've flushed the waste pipe. There was only a tiny amount of gunk. When I switch on the machine, the tub goes round, but it's making a kind of mild rumbling noise.

Does it make a rumble noise when you turn it by hand. Don't forget you got no water in the pump it relies on water to keep it quite. Fill it up then pump water out it should be quite then.

Put it on drain does the pump hum does water come out of waste fast or slow. If you have cleared the sump and pipe and checked inside of pump then you have a lazy pump.

The pump seems to be humming (not rumbling) and the F-05 code is again popping up on the display. No water is draining from the machine. I guess this is a job for an engineer as I don't fancy changing the pump. Thanks for taking the time talk to me. Much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back