Hotpoint WM52 washing machine - can't open the door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - my wife has overloaded our washing machine (not for the first time) It struggled to spin and kept tripping our circuit breakers but eventually after turning the drum by hand a few times I managed to get it going. The problem I have now is that the door won't release.
I remembered there being a sort of air vacumn pipe on an old machine that had something to do with the door so I' disconnected that on this machine but I still can't get the door open.
I wondered if any of you guys knew of a trade secret that would enable me to open the door without breaking it. I desperately need to get my work shirts out for tomorrow.
Many thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
has it spun? it may have water inside, try a spin

Tell who ever over loaded it that that overloading only ruins the m/c it does the following:

Puts extra weight into the tub
Extra weight onto "drive shaft", (spider) this in turn causes the bearings to run off centre, this then allows water into the bearings which then wear more letting in more water, causing more wear.

As the bearings wear so the m/c gets more and more noisey when it spins

also over loading means the wash is not done properly as the idea is clothes fall over as they go round, they cant if overloaded.

a rule of thumb is when loading stop when you cant see the back of the drum looking from outside. It gives a better wash and m/c lasts longer

all his grief because some one knew they were overloading the m/c marvelous

Thanks Breezer - Yes it spun for a while and as the clothes now have less water in them they are not as heavy. i managed to get the drum spinning at full speed for a short while but then it blew again. No water leaks anywhere so I'm confident that water is getting in anywhere to cause it to blow - I just can't get the damn door open though.

Sponsored Links
try a search for me, and inside a hotpoint, when you find it look at the pecker, UNPLUG your m/c look inside your m/c and see if the pecker is still there they sometimes fall off (honest) if it has the best way is to bolt it on, but i cant remeber what the size of bolt is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back