door stuck washing machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I own a "Hotpoint electronic 800 super" washing machine it is old but it works ok. However my mother over filled it and the drum would not move. I stopped it mid cycle put it on a spin (drum would not move) but i can not open the door to remove excess washing. Is their an emergency release? can anyone help!!

Sponsored Links
pull the machine to gain access to the back get yourself a bucket or basin [machine will be exremely heavy]

take any securing clips from the drain hose [not any connecters]

pull [or disconect]the top half from the drain
lower slowly into the bucket drain till 2/3 full
raise hose
repeat process till now't comes out

just be aware if the temporary removal of the drain hose leaves a hole near the sink u bend put the plug in :D ;)

now with the hose firmly held temporaly if its a hook over fitting[in the drain] you can now try a empty or spin cycle
or if the water is low enough open the door

Hi thanks for replying. There appears to be no water in the machine when i stopped the cycle i put onto spin and it drained. I just can not open the door?

make shure the machine is in the normal positition for opening the door
for example turned on the star past the "d" and the correct time has elapsed to realease the door
or whatever the settings or sequence normaly is
if that dosnt work normaly try leaning on the door to ease the preasure on the catch
or even "bounce" the side of your fist on the door in the catch area

Sponsored Links
Some hotpoints have a device called a pecker fixed to the motor. This has a cable similar to a bicycle brake cable connected to the door lock mechanism. This pecker may have fell off the motor or gone out of adjustment. It has a knife edge that presses into the belt or the motor shaft then you operate the door handle. If it has fell off you can open the door by holding the cable in tension while pulling the handle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back