Hotpoint WML540 washing machine - won't pump out, can't open door, how to empty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After it had been on for about an hour all the lights on my Hotpoint WML540 suddenly started blinking - I opened the door and water gushed out (should have looked first!) and quickly closed it. Turned the machine to pump out ('C' on the dial) and all I get is a grinding noise.

Turned it fully off (hold down power button), select normal wash ('2' on the dial) and it's now going through the early cycle so the pump hasn't yet been activated again, have to see what happens next. However, assuming that the pump is now faulty how do I empty the machine and release the lock so I can at least get my washing out?

Not sure if it's related but prior to putting on the machine earlier this morning the water pressure was low (it happens in my area at times) - could that have been responsible for the pump issue? The machine is over ten years old so maybe the pump was getting to the end of its life and something related to low water pressure caused it to fail?

Sponsored Links
Somewhere there will be hose just for this problem. On my m/c there is flap with the plugged hose behind so, lift flap and pull out hose then remove the plug to release the water.
As you know make & model try St. Google for advice.

Thanks - can't see anything like that on my machine but there is the filter near floor level at the front. I guess not a good idea to remove that at the moment though or I'll flood the room that the machine is in.

Sponsored Links
Just downloaded that in fact and opened the door with the hidden pull tab - managed to collect most of the water. Pump still sounds terrible when set to drain. New pump required?

Pump is probably choked with debri . Dropping the hose to ground level allows you to drain a washing machine .Then check filter and look at impeller for coins,needles, hair grips etc which can cause obstruction .

Thanks - can't see anything like that on my machine but there is the filter near floor level at the front. I guess not a good idea to remove that at the moment though or I'll flood the room that the machine is in.

You could have put a (new) bin bag under the flap to catch the water when you removed the cover.

I often use bin bags for draining radiators and alike.

Thanks all - managed to fix it - on removing the filter in the lower front corner I found a big piece of duct tape stuck on the pump's impeller!

This will have come off an old padded coat of mine that's really tatty which I use for gardening, I had used duct tape on a few bramble gashes and didn't notice one piece was missing after I had to wash it a few weeks ago. I guess it's been in the filter area for a while and finally got into a position where it stopped the impeller from turning.

Lesson learned.

Hi I've just registered just to let you know there's a recall on a lot of hotpoint washers along with other brands made by hotpoint, go to the website or ring them to check is yours a recall as mine set on fire, if it has a white or cream door lock them probably on the recall list, for a fast response of you don't get no where on the phone, tag hotpoint in a f b post complaining about there standards you'll soon get a response you'll get a brand new washer even if you don't have the receipt or you purchased it from someone, hope this helps

Thanks for the heads up, have just checked and my model (WML540) isn't on any recent list that I can find online.

Very sorry to hear about the incident with your machine, was there any damage done to your property?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back