house bricks too small?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need 4 bricks to patch a hole in an internal wall.
I got some that were left over from a wall at nans about 15 years ago ( cleaned out form nan's garage.. ) but they are too small for some reason..

the bricks are 215 x 65 ( face size.. didn't measure the depth.. ) with lots of 12mm ish holes in them..
the old ones are 220 x 70... and seem to be solid ( can't see any "frog" in the bits I took out.. ).. they are also kind of black inside if that makes any difference?

I'm guessing that it's something to do with pre / post metrication..?

is it worth trawling round the builders merchants and sheds with a tape measure, or would skip diving / freecycle be my best bet?

Sponsored Links
The small ones are metric, but for an internal wall to be plastered just make the joints a bit bigger.

Yep, metric bricks are quite a bit smaller (215x102x65mm). I think it should be quite easy to find imperial ones, they will just cost more. I have got loads in my garden as I have just removed a wall. If you really need them I shall be visiting the Midlands next weekend.

Sounds like your nan's got the old imperial bricks Col. Commonly, bricks traditionally come in two sizes, 2⅝" and 2⅞", which today in metric translates to 65mm and 73mm. Most bricks are still manufactured in both sizes.

Sponsored Links
so it's a trip round the sheds with a tape measure then?

or look out inthe local area for skips with some bricks in..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back