Plastering repair over dirty uneven brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and hoping for a bit of advice before being able to share my experiences of refreshing our house.

We just bought our first home before Christmas and the time has come for my first DIY. I have some old experience of the building trade pre-2008 but more on the design side than build!

I've pulled of some skirting in one of the bedrooms (as planning to lay chipboard over the joists for carpet). It appears that the skirts have been on for decades and new plastering above was done without removing them.

On removing the skirting all the old (anywhere from 50-100 years old) plaster has come loose and I have removed it.

The issue is that behind the skirting is a very uneven and dirty brick wall (one piece has a 10x30mm ish piece of wood protruding about 6mm). I'm concerned that the depth is too uneven and shallow for a plasterboard patch and the brick is too dirty to plaster on.

Any advice? I can photograph tonight if that would help?

I just want to have something secure to fix the new skirting into one the new floor is down and we may opt for skirting which isnt as high as before.

Many thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
You can brush PVA on the bricks to seal them then use plasterboard adhesive like dot and dab to fix the skirting, with screws to hold it in place. Use the same addy to fill any gaps above then sand back and paint.

Thanks for the reply Joe. I think I need to plaster behind the skirt though to bring it level with the rest of the wall?

If you see the attached photo View media item 58037
On the right hand side the depth is about 25mm and on the left the depth is 10mm. Could I plaster to that thickness using more than one coat?

Cheers

Plasterboard addy is very cheap and will do all that sort of stuff. You can use Bonding if you wish, but PB addy will do all that you want it to.

Sponsored Links
Sorry to reply again but you mean use a plasterboard adhesive straight on the brick to build a base and then plaster on top of that?

I wouldn't have thought I would use that all around the room behind ever piece of skirt?

No. If it's that thick pack it out with PB or bits of timber. Didn't realise it was that thick.

Thanks for your help. Will give it go. Sounds like a couple of sheets of PB and some addy should do the job:)

Buy a bag of Thistle bonding, trowel one coat on all round, have a cup of tea and a kitkat then do the second coat.

Job done.

Joes method works equally as well but is prolly just a tad fiddlier particularly if there are any bumps or protrusions.

The benefit of using a backing plater like bonding is it can be scraped, trowelled and formed more easily.

Yes I agree, probably now I know more about what you are doing then I'd agree with Nosey. I'd still PVA it though.

Thanks both. That sounds like it may be the way forward.

A final question? As the skirts we are likely to fit could be half the height of the old ones I really want to make good the wall and achieve a smooth finish which blends up to the existing wall. So perhaps a finishing plaster over the bonding? Or in your experiences would that not be necessary?

So PVA over the bricks. Then patch with bonding. And then (maybe) finishing plaster.

Really appreciate you advice.

If I were you I'd clean up and reuse the original skirting - they are original features and so worth money to the value of the house. Chipboard is a bad idea as it squeaks like fook.

I thought screwed T&G chipboard would be a fairly standard floor to carpet over? Any suggestions on alternatives? I cannot lay over what is there as it it is not level at all and laying anything on top to level will just throw the floor levels across the first floor.

I think you may be right on the original skirting. I'll try and clean it up and see how much work that is. If not the same size and design is probably preferable.

If the original floor isn't level then neither will the chipboard be. Post a piccie or two.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back