House electrical inspection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a wiring electrical inspection done for the purchasers of my house but if anything is found I want to do the work myself. Does having the 16 th edition qualification mean I'm allowed to do my own electrical work because I believe I'm not now that part P has come out but some electricians I work with say I can but the work has to be inspected by some one with part P is this correct.

Sponsored Links
it depends on what work is needed.

if its just minor works and not in bathrooms kitchens swimming pool halls etc then its non-notifiable and anyone can do it.

if the work needed is notifiable then it should either be done by someone who is registered with one of the part P self certification schemes or notified to building control. Some sparkies in the self cert schemes will however bend the rules and test/cert other peoples work as if it were their own.

Although I'm not an electrician I do a lot of electrical work mainly industrial so I know that the wiring is ok apart from the earth bonding to the water pipes in the bathroom and kitchen. Surely it would be ok to do earth bonding myself.

What you could do, prior to the inspection, is verify the main and supplementary bonding, check for and rectify some common simple probs - cracked sockets; missing earth sleeving; missing red sleeving on lighting circuits; spurs-on-spurs; no RCD sockets that can reasonably be expected to supply equipment used outdoors; grommets missing from metal back-boxes; lighting pendants where the sheath does not run all the way into rose and bulbholder.

If you have rewirable fuses get some cartridge-fuse-holders which are generally available as direct same-brand replacements and not expensive (or MCBs which are a bit more).

Supplementary bonding is required in bathrooms but is no longer compulsory in kitchens.

You won't be adding new circuits, or outlets in the kitchen or bathroom or outside the house (read the notes on permitted work) so no harm in doing it before the inspection, rather than after. Then the inspection can find and report on any things that you weren't able to spot yourself.

Sponsored Links
bryan walker said:
I'm having a wiring electrical inspection done for the purchasers of my house but if anything is found I want to do the work myself. Does having the 16 th edition qualification mean I'm allowed to do my own electrical work because I believe I'm not now that part P has come out but some electricians I work with say I can but the work has to be inspected by some one with part P is this correct.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=327999#327999

Plan B:

1) Have the PIR done.

2) Rectify the faults.

3) Have another PIR done and don't mention the first one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back