House has alarm....can I use it ?

Sponsored Links
I've never fitted a scantronic panel and am interested to know why they are so much better than the texecom gear. I'm not trying to be argumentative or playing alarm top trumps (well maybe a bit). Any real answers would be apreciated.

Sorry for hi-jacking the post.

Sponsored Links
imo texecom are a poor mans alarm

scantronic started out donkeys years ago, 20+ may be

texecom came along and stole their ideas then made some of their own, but never quite got it right.

truth is you most like waht you are comfortable with and hate everything else because you dont know what it can do.

but i have installed texecom and scantronic.

RF Lighting said:
I've never fitted a scantronic panel and am interested to know why they are so much better than the texecom gear. I'm not trying to be argumentative or playing alarm top trumps (well maybe a bit). Any real answers would be apreciated.

Sorry for hi-jacking the post.

Scantronics new EN rkp is well sexy.......

ENPanels.jpg

Just a bit on the pricey side.

We always use Menvier/Scantronic panels for commercial property's, suppose it just comes down to pursonal preferences. We do sell a lot of Texecom panels though, but never used one.

I was drawn to texecom for the look of the keypads (here) . All the other manufacturers only seemed to make surfuce mounted keypads, also having fitted quite a few texecom veritas and excel panels. Whilst I know they are no where near as sophisticated or complicated as the premier stuff they have always been easy to set up and reliable panels.

The scantronic stuff looks alright too so I may have to try one (you've got to try everything once!) What about the galaxy stuff like adt use? My dad has one of these panels in his shop which seems to give him alot of grief (but is was installed very badly by a couple of morons)

which galaxy?

there is a new eoropean version called g2 for domestic and g3 for commercial

they use shunt & eol 1k resistors my mate says easy to do, but frightening when you first play with one

Its a honeywell commercial panel but without looking i couldn't tell you more. It has anti-masking detectors which as I understand it requires 3 EOL resistors per circuit. :eek: I have done plenty of alarms with 2 EOL resistors which confused the hell out of me for the first couple, but are dead easy to do now.

I have fitted one of those wirefree ones and it works a treat even rings me up when it goes off. There are no wires all over the house if you have just decorated and you can add to it with more zones etc. For my 2 bed house it cost me £100 and does everything I need.

The down side is replacing the batteries once every year or so.

lets not go down the radio alarm route.

RF Lighting, not quite right

it has a 1k shunt

1 k and of line

10k anti-masking shunt

con1_uk said:
I have fitted one of those wirefree ones and it works a treat even rings me up when it goes off. There are no wires all over the house if you have just decorated and you can add to it with more zones etc. For my 2 bed house it cost me £100 and does everything I need.

The down side is replacing the batteries once every year or so.

and the rest :LOL:

That would cost me a fortune in batteries. I currently have 34 zones (over 5 partitioned areas), 4 keypads a couple of bell boxes etc. Oh and the door contacts are huge on wireless. What is the transmission range on the wireless gear out of interest?

Mine sends text messages too

Had the system a couple of years now and only had to change the batts on some but my system is very small compared. Not sure what the transmission is but my wireless key fob will work a few hundred metres away.

I would have liked a wired alarm but we had decorated all over by the time we was burgled and this fitted our budget and requirements I get the add ons from ebay and batteries from there too. It also ment I could fit it and there was no messing with mains ETC.

Even the main alarm bell boxes are solar powered. I gave it a good service and a testing when the first battery ran out so I suppose it is a good reminder.

The system is a Friedland.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back